Time For Protection From Bird Flu?

manxchatterbox

In the FT to-day there is an article that starts off with:-

Worried consumers are rushing to a growing number of "survival" websites to buy bio-hazard suits and protective masks as anxiety over bird flu spreads.

Online suppliers, such as uksurvive.com and surviveall.co.uk say they have seen a sharp jump in inquiries since the first wild case of bird flu was confirmed in Britain this week.

I heard Stu Peters say he already has a rubber suit....

Where locally can you get protective suits / disposable face mask's etc?

Worried consumers are rushing to a growing number of "survival" websites to buy bio-hazard suits and protective masks as anxiety over manxchatterbox posts spreads.

Online suppliers, such as uksurvive.com and surviveall.co.uk say they have seen a sharp jump in inquiries since the first of many cases of wild unconfirmed rumour was confirmed.

Where locally can you get protective suits / disposable face masks* etc?

(*plural - for the two-faced.)

Face masks and suits will do absolutely nothing. The situation hasn't changed at all. There are still no cases of human to human transfer so there's no need to raise the panic levels. Even when there is human to human, face masks will not protect you.

It will happen though, just a matter of time. Even then, I'd much rather catch it early than in the second or third wave as statistically, you're much more likely to fend it off in the first wave.

I attended a Government lead presentation last month on this subject and our Government is far more prepared and aware then our UK compatriots.

Face masks and suits will do absolutely nothing. The situation hasn't changed at all. There are still no cases of human to human transfer so there's no need to raise the panic levels. Even when there is human to human, face masks will not protect you.

It will happen though, just a matter of time. Even then, I'd much rather catch it early than in the second or third wave as statistically, you're much more likely to fend it off in the first wave.

I attended a Government lead presentation last month on this subject and our Government is far more prepared and aware then our UK compatriots.

What about condoms? I've been wearing one ever since they found that swan. No sign of bird flu so far.....

I've just applied for planing permission to put up 50 of these thingies in my garden - they'll be available very soon - prices start from only £ 499.999!

Wow they are a must have for everyone. I wonder if the Manx Government will subsidise them.

Worried consumers are rushing to a growing number of "survival" websites to buy bio-hazard suits and protective masks as anxiety over bird flu spreads.

Online suppliers, such as uksurvive.com and surviveall.co.uk say they have seen a sharp jump in inquiries since the first wild case of bird flu was confirmed in Britain this week.

Where locally can you get protective suits / disposable face mask's etc?

Protective suits would be useless, you wouldn't be able to reuse them as they would be contaminated once you take them off, just like the suits the US army uses in Iraq and other conflict stricken places. To use those sorts of suits you would need a lot of money, it's just not a viable option. Not to mention the fact that bird flu is going to be around for a long time.

Archived