The Number Of Government Employees

Albert Tatlock

The weird thing is that my wife didn't think her pay rise was exhorbitant - hers was certainly less than inflation. So everything we buy has gone up more than her pay rise.

Maybe some civil servants got more - I know she didn't.

'What planet do you live on?' - the planet where many employees in the private sector are getting no or below inflation pay rises. Our civil service rise of 4.3% backdated to last april with another rise of 1.5% in the not too distant future is taking the proverbial - boy, that gravy must tatste soooooo good!

Ooooh you were soo close.

Govt employees did not get a pay rise last year. The pay rise they are getting now is last years and is backdated to august and not april. And between now and next april they will get a further 1.5 %. So that is 2.9% average (as it is over two years) which is less than inflation.

You can check the inflation rate here http://www.gov.im/treasury/economic/data/inflation.xml- note this is as of feb'06 and it has fallen since last year so the increase is significantly below the rate of inflation.

Would you like some cream with your humble pie ?

"You are right to point out that there are differences between the island and the mainland. However, one thing you are missing is that the IOM does not have the same number of departments as on the mainland "

So. What mainland would that be ?Norway perhaps ? do tell.

Err...the MoD, Err...MI5, Err...the DWP, Err...The Ministry of Funny Walks...

If you really think the IOM is the same as the mainland you really need to get away more.

There's been staff capping at the Civil Service for years. What's your problem?

It needs to be set lower as I think there are too many civil servants on the IOM.

Where would you reduce it? The people who administer benefits? The staff who check whether the benefits are being paid out fairly? How about the people who process planning applications, or maybe those who investigate health and safety breaches? Oh, I know, the ones who process court cases, criminal cases move far too fast, you could cut some there. Or possibly the staff who pay teachers, doctors, nurses, social workers etc. Who needs to be paid monthly?

However, one thing you are missing is that the IOM does not have the same number of departments as on the mainland (e.g. defence etc.) ....blah....blah

So, let's take off the 206,000 who are employed by HM Forces (Appendix 2 of previously linked document).

Still leaves over 19%.

Although, technically, as we are 'not inlcuding' them for this bit of research, they should also be deducted from the total workforce figure as well, which of course, would result in no change.

It needs to be set lower as I think there are too many civil servants on the IOM.
You are not comparing civil servant numbers though. You have yet to give those figures. What you have mentioned so far are the numbers employed by Government as a whole.

So the Island runs with about 16%, compared to about 20% in the UK. So in answer to your original question, I think it's OK. Thanks for asking though.

Archived