Keys & Legco Members Pay Rises 1 And 2

Fleur

I think it is important to have reasonable salaries for these guys, as we need to consider the risk people take in taking a 'career break' to become an MHK.

Getting back into cut and thrust careers such as taxi driving, chimney sweeping, bus driving and running small shops would be extremely difficult for most of us.

Then there's all that reading complicated UK legislation and having to put your arm up all the time to get it adopted, and all the 'consultations' and having to keep a straight face.

I don't think I could cope.

I also think the BBC licence fee should be £5000 and the Tower of Refuge should be granted independence.

Considering that MHKs and MLCs are rather well paid from us btw and gives them lot membership to "the best club in the World" as the current president once described it, it really is about time that Members of the Legislative Council were popularly elected.

It probably will be the last rise most of them will get - what with all the other rises they have taken. The pensioners who do not get the supplement are one group who will not vote them back in.

Never mind the 24 + 8 who've had the rises, there's probably also hundreds of same grade civil servants (those whose pay the MHK is directly equivalent to) who have had exactly the same rise.

I don't see people bleating about their pay rise.

Never mind the 24 + 8 who've had the rises, there's probably also hundreds of same grade civil servants (those whose pay the MHK is directly equivalent to) who have had exactly the same rise.

Possibly because some feel they know what it takes to be a politician and how difficult it can be, answering inane questions from half-wits who only accept the answers they want to hear without accepting that public good outweighs the personal greed every time.

When you know of what you speak feel free to critisise, otherwise let them get on with it.

Stand for election in November if you like and then refuse to take the wages on offer. I think not!

Possibly because some feel they know what it takes to be a politician and how difficult it can be, answering inane questions from half-wits who only accept the answers they want to hear without accepting that public good outweighs the personal greed every time.

When you know of what you speak feel free to critisise, otherwise let them get on with it.

Stand for election in November if you like and then refuse to take the wages on offer. I think not!

Steady on, who's paying for them rises again?

Archived