National Speed Limited

TrainHard

The government are sending out this consultation form to be completed by all households before making a decision on whether or not to impose a national speed limit, why?

This form should only be sent out to people owning cars in the Isle of Man as they are the people who this stupid talk about a national speed limit effects. If this is sent out you everyone you will be having people you do not drive probably stating they want a national speed limit because it doesn't effect them. Also, I would say at least 25% of the population of the Isle of Man are old geezers and they are bound to want it because they can then cross the road at 1 mph and also they would be able to drive around if they have a license at 30mph everywhere.

If the Isle of Man has a national speed limit you can guarantee it will kill all motorsport in the island overnight.

My solution is to get those lazy gits at the police station to do some bloody work for a change instead of sitting in there cars doing nothing. I can’t believe that so many of these police are off with stress related illness, it must be because they are over worked! Or maybe it is very destressing counting there salaries each month for doing nothing.

Pedestrians are road users too. So are cyclists and horse riders.

Everyone is entitled to make a call on this matter. Personally I think that the proposed 60 mph is too high and that 50 is far more appropriate for the Manx roads and conditions.

As to the population of theIsland being older people, that simply endorses the NEED for sensible LOW speed limits to be imposed and enforced.

Also, I would say at least 25% of the population of the Isle of Man are old geezers and they are bound to want it because they can then cross the road at 1 mph and also they would be able to drive around if they have a license at 30mph everywhere.

At the risk of bouncing off thread & maybe upsetting a few members.... I'd just like to add that the standard of driving by some of these "old geezers" is quite frankly appalling. The powers that be should be looking at some form of driving competency testing that would be enforced after a certain age is reached.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if your reactions are slow & your eyesight is poor, what is the difference between that and the impact of driving under the influence of let’s say alcohol?

As to the population of theIsland being older people, that simply endorses the NEED for sensible LOW speed limits to be imposed and enforced.

The majority of the population of the island are NOT older people. If you look at the census there were 12,758 people 65 and older and 49,058 people aged between 16 and 64.

That's a ratio of approximately 4:1 'Young' to 'Old'.

And it should be remembered, that like teenagers, not all old people are the same.

Rog,

Firstly, do you even live in the Isle of Man!

Secondly, Horses don't have tyres and don't pay road tax so they should stay where they were intended to be tracks/fields.

The Isle of man does have lot of old people living here and some of them are driving around without passing a driving test! Also, I think once you reach the age of 60 you should be assessed to see if you are still fit to drive a car and every 5 years thereafter because recently there have been old people causing accidents and in my opinion should have not been driving.

It would be interesting to see a complete listing for the last five years or so, that indicated the circumstances of each road accident before going for a speed limit. For example

Age of driver/rider

Experience of driver/rider

Age of vehicle

Condition of vehicle

Last examination of vehicle

Speed at time of accident

Was everyone in the vehicle wearing seatbelts

etc

Had alcohol or drugs been used

Were road tax and insurance in place

There must be other points relating to accidents, but I haven't time to think of any more at the moment.

It would be interesting to see a complete listing for the last five years or so, that indicated the circumstances of each road accident before going for a speed limit. For example

Age of driver/rider

Age of vehicle

Condition of vehicle

etc

There must be other points relating to accidents, but I haven't time to think of any more at the moment.

FYI - All this and more has been posted in an ongoing thread Another Consultation

Age of driver/rider

Age of vehicle

Condition of vehicle

etc

dont forget to include,

A copy of the persons last eye examination, and if they were wearing glasses that meet that perscription at the time.

A check of their mobile phone record to see if they were making a call or reading/sending a text message at the time of the accident.

I was looking out of my office window the other day and saw four different lots of women driving past sending text messages.

Rog,

Firstly, do you even live in the Isle of Man!

Secondly, Horses don't have tyres and don't pay road tax so they should stay where they were intended to be tracks/fields.

The Isle of man does have lot of old people living here and some of them are driving around without passing a driving test! Also, I think once you reach the age of 60 you should be assessed to see if you are still fit to drive a car and every 5 years thereafter because recently there have been old people causing accidents and in my opinion should have not been driving.

Tractors do have tyres and they are not liable to road tax so should they stay on tracks and in fields were they are intended. How many times have you been in a queue behind a tractor and some idiot gets fed up several cars back and decides to over take the queue.

Also, do you have facts and figures on how many "old" people have "recently" caused accidents. Also, what are you calling "old"?

Back on thread - national speed limit - complete waste of time, majority of drivers don't keep to the limits already in existence. Sending out paperwork to all households - waste of time and money.

Ermmm, you know what roads were before cars came along?

The next time some shortsighted twat nearly kills me on my bike I will curse myself for being on the road without a valid Road Fund Licence.

Next you'll be saying that my seven year old should ride his bike on the path "where he belongs".

What an incredibly left-wing, liberal, socially conscious load of drivel. You've obviously been reading the Guardian again, haven't you.

Can't you bleeding hearts understand that we are overpopulated with the elderly and that the only possible solution - There Is No Alternative - is an annual 'cull' of these creatures.

Experience has shown that speeding vehicles are by far the most humane way of carrying this out and, because the process is, in many ways, perfectly natural, there can be little doubt that those being culled enjoy the process almost as much as the vehicle drivers and their overexcited passengers.

Experience has shown that speeding vehicles are by far the most humane way of carrying this out and, because the process is, in many ways, perfectly natural, there can be little doubt that those being culled enjoy the process almost as much as the vehicle drivers and their overexcited passengers.

Ermmmm, not if if it's the 'wrinkley' who is driving the car <_<

Archived