Look At That Bloody Idiot!

Manxman27

How many times do you find yourself saying that as you drive around the Island?

A week or so ago I saw blue Saxo with R plates over take a stationary queue of traffic on a left hand corner on Woodbourne Road and cut across the road marking on the wrong side of the road turning in to Albany Road, there is no way that the Saxo driver would have been able to see around the queue of traffic it was overtaking and if there had been a car approaching the stop sign on Albany Road there would have been a crash.

On the same day at lunchtime I saw another blue Saxo with R plates on coming out of Athol Street on to Prospect Hill, Athol Street is one way in the other direction!!! There was a car on Prospect Hill waiting to turn in to Athol Street so there was nearly a crash there.

How many times in your driving lessons and test do you go down that street? Enough to know that it’s a one way street.

That weekend I was driving along Douglas promenade, and I saw an elderly woman in a maroon car, shoot across the stop sign at the bottom of Summer Hill and straight out on to the tram tracks and stop, narrowly missing the two cars that were in front of me. She hadn’t made any attempt to stop. A split second later, it could have been me she crashed in to!

On Monday night I was driving through St Johns and after slowing down to laugh at the cardboard police man, I saw a car being driven by a young man approach the stop sign next to the Tynwald pub and he made no attempt to stop and turned right, in front of the car in front of me. There was no time for him to access the situation at the junction and he shouldn’t have even pulled out in front of us, never mind not even stop.

I’ll stop now but there are many, many more that I see on a daily basis.

I propose that you add your experiences of bad/stupid driving to this thread, to highlight that, before they introduce a national speed limit that there are other things they should be looking at first.

Driver education and the standard of driving is one of the main ones. We have laws in place to deal with these things, and they are not enforced, so what’s the point of introducing a speed limit?

Don’t put number plates up as that could cause problems for the MF Admin, and notice I have used the work crash rather than accident. I don't think there are many incidents involving driving and vehicles that can truly be described as an accident.

When driving always assume that all other drivers are one or more of the following:

Valiummed up to the eyeballs and stressed out from the school run

High on Crack or down on downers

Drunk

Inexperienced

Stupid

Not insured

No licence

etc.

You will be surprised how your own driving improves and how many people actually do fall in to one of the above categorised.

That weekend I was driving along Douglas promenade, and I saw an elderly woman in a maroon car, shoot across the stop sign at the bottom of Summer Hill and straight out on to the tram tracks and stop, narrowly missing the two cars that were in front of me. She hadn’t made any attempt to stop.

Saw a black Saxo do that yesterday morning. Was very tempted to report the driver as a car coming the other way had to hammer on the brakes to avoid a collision

Driver education and the standard of driving is one of the main ones. We have laws in place to deal with these things, and they are not enforced

You reported the bad drivers to the Police, yes?

How many times do you find yourself saying that as you drive around the Island? .....blah.....blah....blah

I take it that you noted the registration numbers and made a report to the police?

Unless you expect there to be a Police bod on every junction / straight / corner / car park (of course this would spark a thread on numbers of people employed by Government, but, hey, what the hell), they need observant members of the public like you to help them.

It probably wouldn't resort in a prosecution, but they would get fed up with being 'visited' or being given producers every week. Then maybe the Police could establish a pattern.

Just a thought.

Edit - Damn you Rip with your quick typy finger things

I don't think the stupid bit of driving I witnessed is the only time these drivers do these things, if the Traffic Police were out there doing their job, these people would be being stopped and told the error of their ways.

The idea of this thread was for people to post their experiences of near misses and bad driving, not for me to come up with a solution to the problem.

I phoned the police about an unsafe vehicle a few years ago, and not long after I saw the same vehicle with the same problem still driving around. So they obviously didn't pay them a visit. Other times I am driving and couldn't possibly take down a registration as it happens too fast.

Bad driving irritates the hell out of me and I admit to having not reported incidents to the police and I doubt many others would.

That said, I am aware of people who have received visits from the police as a result of calls, so they must act upon reports when they receive them.

Maybe more of us should be reporting incidents more often?

That said, I am aware of people who have received visits from the police as a result of calls, so they must act upon reports when they receive them.

As am I, hence my suggestion as well.

if the Traffic Police were out there doing their job, these people would be being stopped and told the error of their ways.

We can't lay the blame solely at the foot of the police. There simply aren't enough members of the force, in particular the traffic unit, to monitor, as I said previously, every corner / junction etc etc.

Do they catch every burglar / mugger / murderer in the middle of their crime? No, they rely on witness (amongst other) evidence. So why not the same for motoring offences? They can't be everywhere.

The idea of this thread was for people to post their experiences of near misses and bad driving, not for me to come up with a solution to the problem.
Really? I would never have guessed.

Archived