The Good Things On The Iom

iomcombat

Ok folks, as frankly Im getting sick of a load of whinging halfwits constantly moaning about how bad everything is on the Island I thought I'd try a thread about what people like over here.

For me the first factor is the much lower levels of crime than in UK cities. Having spent 3 years in Liverpool the random crime, particularly violent crime, seemed awful compared to here. The IOM ain't exactly crime free but at least Im not worried about nutters with swords attacking people in a park or firebombing cars (both happened within 200 yrds from where I was staying the first week in Liverpool).

The second thing for me is the wages and taxes. When I graduated I checked out the poss of living in the UK but for the same sort of job that I was looking at over here the monthly take-home was much less. This partic hit home when a friend of mine moved to Ireland and was on the equiz of £25k p/a. WHich he thought was great until he realised that after tax it worked out closer to £13k.

Finally for me its the manx countryside. Its relatively unpolluted (apart from wankers letting their dogs crap everywhere and not clearing it up) and has a good variety and a great coastline.

For me, while there may be some things that are better in other places the reason I'm over here is because the good outweighs the bad. Anyone else got things they like about the IOM?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love everything about the island - its fascinating culture and heritage, its wonderful landscapes, its friendly and unpretentious people and its unique vintage transport system. I was born in England and lived there for the first 38 years of my life, but the first time I visited the Isle of Man I felt like I'd come home.

The island is better for reasons of crime and pollution. If money is really important to you then I guess the island trumps in that category as well. The island is too small, depressing and constantly being around Manxies all the time makes you appreciate the multi-cultural UK society a lot more.

The island is better for reasons of crime and pollution. If money is really important to you then I guess the island trumps in that category as well. The island is too small, depressing and constantly being around Manxies all the time makes you appreciate the multi-cultural UK society a lot more.

http://www.steam-packet.com/SteamPacket/timetable

I believe there is one in the morning

Thank you Terry and Juan. You pair of dickweeds are prime examples of why the island is in the state it is. By all means argue with my opinions but to slag someone off just because they express an opinion is moronic.

Thank you Terry and Juan. You pair of dickweeds are prime examples of why the island is in the state it is. By all means argue with my opinions but to slag someone off just because they express an opinion is moronic.

I must interject here.

You calling other people "dickweeds" is obviously not slagging someone off?

Plus you insulted the Manx people generically and you seem to feel affronted in some way?

Get real or get on a boat.

I have some problems with this island but every place has its pros and cons.

I moved here when I was 8 years old (i'm now 18) and i am very grateful for the upbringing i've had.

When ever i feel down I just walk down to Kirk Michael beach and think...how lucky i am to be here.

I like the people (apart from some racists...but any society has that).

I love the island, yeah i want to go and live in the UK for a bit after to uni just to get a bit of different scenery but the island is a very special place to me.

The title was 'The good things on the Iom' Which generally means not to slag the island off at every given oppurtunity. And to be honest its best not to say things about manx people when obviously there will be alot of people who take offence to it even if it was meant as a joke.

If you really dont like the Island then dont live here. And Terry snd Juan were expressing their opinion so isnt it abit hypercritical (sp?) of you to start calling them names when you dont like what they say?

Anyway back to Thread I like the fact that you can walk home in the dark without worrying too much (but thats probably a bad attitude) and you probably couldnt do that in some places in England. Oh and that pretty much anywhere on the island you are 10 minutes away from a beach, 15 from mountains and 5 from fields.

(its ok im ready to get slated for my opinion now :P)

I said that constantly being around Manxies all the time is depressing. What's wrong with saying that? One of the enjoyable things in life is meeting people who have different cultures, languages, religions and opinions. The greater the mix of people, the greater life can be. That was my opinion but as I said some of the nobs on this forum have a problem with opinions. Suggesting that people get the boat in the morning is no solution.

I said that constantly being around Manxies all the time is depressing. What's wrong with saying that? One of the enjoyable things in life is meeting people who have different cultures, languages, religions and opinions. The greater the mix of people, the greater life can be. That was my opinion but as I said some of the nobs on this forum have a problem with opinions. Suggesting that people get the boat in the morning is no solution.

No what you inferred in your post was that you are better than us Manxies because you are not insular and are somehow more sophisticated us mere mortals who's idiocy depresses you. What colour you bring to our dull sheep-abusing lives just by being here!

Terry's offer of a ticket does, I am sure, still stand.

MCB your new identity is f**ked already.

Give up.

No what you inferred in your post was that you are better than us Manxies because you are not insular and are somehow more sophisticated us mere mortals who's idiocy depresses you. What colour you bring to our dull sheep-abusing lives just by being here!

Terry's offer of a ticket does, I am sure, still stand.

MCB your new identity is f**ked already.

Give up.

I'd agree. Both timing and tone of posts would indicate an MCB alias.

The offer of a ticket certainly does stand.

Archived