The Good Things On The Iom

iomcombat

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it aint the taxis, £8-00 from Onchan to the boat yesterday

So, how much do you think it should cost? :huh:

Onchan - sea terminal must be what 3 miles..... I reckon £3.50 - £4.00 should cover that.

Agreed. The taxis here are truly extortionate and I bet the driver that charged £8 was hoping for £10 and to be told to keep the change as a tip. It's not as if you are getting great service...ripping everyone off seems not only to be a national sport here nowadays, it is a badge of honour.

Never mind, TT is round the corner so that will be another excuse for everyone to hike their prices. Greedy, rip off, bastard merchants - and that includes H & B. :angry:

You are all still having a go at each other. You have a wonderful place to live in, more good than bad. I am very jealous and wish we were able to live in the island. You have a great way of life and everything you need, make the most of it.

Fuck off, Dickhead.

There has been an awful lot of bollocks in this thread, from both sides, but this is the only post that has actually annoyed me. So people are arguing - they either live here or are former residents who've moved away. They've a right to an opinion.

So you come over here for a few weeks for your holidays. Big deal. How do you know if we have a great way of life or not? Even if we do, we shouldn't just smile and put up if it if we think it can be better.

You remind me of those nerks that write to the paper every year to say what a wonderful holiday they've had and how lucky we are. But the underlying subtext is patronising the little islanders. What the hell has it got to do with them what happens here just because they deign to visit once in a blue moon.

What gets me is people listen to these creatures. Comeovers have a valid point to make, they've chosen to live here, so do expat Manxies because they've lived here, but tourists should give us their money and leave quietly.

Yours sincerely,

D. Cretney,

South Douglas.

Well said Dave (I liked your Cave slot on Manx Radio on Good Friday morning - great effort!) :D

I love this island, it may not have much to do for teenagers but its such a lovely place to live. Whenever i go on a holiday to somewhere i always look forward to coming back here and seeing those familiar hills :)

I don't know...There's just something about it...

I agree, but what the bloody hell is it?

I love this island, it may not have much to do for teenagers but its such a lovely place to live. Whenever i go on a holiday to somewhere i always look forward to coming back here and seeing those familiar hills :)

I don't know...There's just something about it...

I agree, but what the bloody hell is it?

Hard to put your finger on "it", but for me this Island definitely has "it"! One of the reasons may be the size, which for me is just right, if you know what I mean. It feels small enough to be familiar with it all, yet not too small to feel claustrophobic. Its kind of ergonomic, if that's not too silly a thing to say. When you come in, particularly by air, you can look at the whole expanse and say, "that's my home" not "that town is my home", but the whole damn lot!

Well it aint the taxis, £8-00 from Onchan to the boat yesterday

So, how much do you think it should cost? :huh:

Onchan - sea terminal must be what 3 miles..... I reckon £3.50 - £4.00 should cover that.

Agreed. The taxis here are truly extortionate and I bet the driver that charged £8 was hoping for £10 and to be told to keep the change as a tip. It's not as if you are getting great service...ripping everyone off seems not only to be a national sport here nowadays, it is a badge of honour.

Much as I hate to spoil prejudiced and ignorant opinion by intruding with facts - there are over 140 places in the UK where taxis cost more than they do in the Isle of Man, despite the fact that motoring costs are often considerably higher here.

Archived