Consultation

Gladys

Anyone know what date the 'consultation' has to be sent in by? (Not seen mine as in UK this week).

Would any kind soul be willing to scan the 'consultation' document so that it can be seen by those of us away at the moment?

Sorry Albert, not at work this week so cannot scan. But here are the three questions, to which you tick one box; the predictable "Yes", "No" and "Don't Know":-

Having considered the above facts, do you think that further action needs to be taken to reduce the exposure to danger on roads with no speed limit?

Would you support the introduction of maximum 60mph speed limit on roads which currently have no speed limit?

Would you support a maximum 70mph on the Snaefell Mountain Road?

The 'above facts' are a regurgitation of the costs of road accidents in monetary and human suffering terms, the reasons speed is dangerous (reaction times, higher speed greater impact, injury, etc), the enforcement measures (by the police to the best of their abilities, ?odd phrase) and asking for our opinion.

Obviously you should see the whole document, which is no bigger than a Chinese takeaway menu, but hope this gives you an idea.

See what I mean about the first question being the trick question?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stupid thing is that they mention after bringing in a national speed limit, They will try to improve driver education, Better signs and better roads (Inluding cats eyes and anti-skid surfacing).

So what stops them doing that now?, Why do we need a national speed limit to improve driver education, Absolute nonsense!

This is all a one sided arguement and they will clearly get the desired result.

Good. I voted for the limit, you fuckers can get your kicks somewhere else where you cant kill me.

Great post!, A brilliant way to show your reason for opposition, What makes you think your going to be any safer with a limit?

I['ll be voting No to the last 2 questions, mainly as I don't like being manipulated by government and/or civil servants. Produce cogent arguments, without the use of massaged statistics, and I might vote yes.

I might just sneak back onto the Island for a day just to vote yes and leave again, cackling mischievously as I dance to the departure lounge (at a reasonable and considerate speed, of course).

Great post!, A brilliant way to show your reason for opposition, What makes you think your going to be any safer with a limit?

Because its the case in every other country?

Why should this one be any different? You think they have speedlimits elsewhere just for fun like?

Questionnaire would have been simpler with just two questions:

1. Do you support an all-island speed limit

2. If ticking YES above, you must also tick yes to us installing speed cameras everywhere we can and doing bugger all else to improve road safety!

Disgraceful manipulation of a trusting public.

Because its the case in every other country?

Why should this one be any different? You think they have speedlimits elsewhere just for fun like?

But speed is only one factor in an accident, Also what is classed as excessive speed?

But speed is only one factor in an accident,

Well I'm glad we agree there. So surely if you remove one factor, you reduce the chance of the accident, no?

Also what is classed as excessive speed?

Depends on the road. There's not a single road on the island where you can safely drive over 80 though.

Questionnaire would have been simpler with just two questions:

1. Do you support an all-island speed limit

2. If ticking YES above, you must also tick yes to us installing speed cameras everywhere we can and doing bugger all else to improve road safety!

Disgraceful manipulation of a trusting public.

"The introduction of Safety cameras is also being examined"

So do you think there will be a consultation about these once there is a national speed limit, I doubt it!

I was actually thinking about voting for a national speed limit, But with it all being one sided it just really annoyed me!

Are there facts about what caused the accidents?

Depends on the road. There's not a single road on the island where you can safely drive over 80 though.

Incorrect. There are lots, and I do, and I haven't caused or been involved in an accident in my cars.

Maybe you're not a very good driver Slim, or maybe your car isn't up to it - but that's OK, there's no move afoot to introduce a MINIMUM speed limit or improve vehicle standards.

Incorrect. There are lots, and I do, and I haven't caused or been involved in an accident in my cars.

Maybe you're not a very good driver Slim, or maybe your car isn't up to it - but that's OK, there's no move afoot to introduce a MINIMUM speed limit or improve vehicle standards.

There are definetly some roads where it is safe to do 60mph+

Archived