Consultation

Gladys

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"The introduction of Safety cameras is also being examined"

Then there'll be cameras either side of the mountain, automatic number plate detection, recording of average speed and...

...Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrching!

The amount of money brought in for speeding offences will soon become linked to the police budget so like in the UK the pressure will be on to catch speeders (a nice little earner in TT week). Also 1 Speeder = 1 police statistic of a crime solved - think about that.

Thin end of the wedge stuff. And if you don't believe that - just do a bit of digging into how it all works in the UK.

But if people obide by the law, there wont be any revenue or statistical increases.

But then if that happens there would be no need for speed cameras and the money wasted in buying and maintaining them is lost.

But if people obide by the law, there wont be any revenue or statistical increases.

Exactly. It's not an arbitrary punishment meted out at random. Oddly enough you have to be speeding to get a ticket and while you may not like the law of the land, you either abide by them or you pay the penalty.

What's the problem? By all means campaign against the introduction of a speed limit but don't complain about people being caught and punished for breaking the law if it goes that way.

Dunno about you but I don't have the luxury of choosing which laws I will and will not obey. I generally try to obey them all, whether I agree with them or not.

"The introduction of Safety cameras is also being examined"

Then there'll be cameras either side of the mountain, automatic number plate detection, recording of average speed and...

...Kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrching!

The amount of money brought in for speeding offences will soon become linked to the police budget so like in the UK the pressure will be on to catch speeders (a nice little earner in TT week). Also 1 Speeder = 1 police statistic of a crime solved - think about that.

Thin end of the wedge stuff. And if you don't believe that - just do a bit of digging into how it all works in the UK.

Am I being naive to assume that speed cameras only catch people that are breaking the speedlimit?

or do they choose random godfearing law-abiders to persecute too.

I didn't think traffic offences were reported in the same way as other crimes or it would be 1 parking ticket = 1 crime solved - think about that.

But then if that happens there would be no need for speed cameras and the money wasted in buying and maintaining them is lost.

Yeah that's right, all that money is wasted on Policing the streets and arresting people for assaults, thefts and vandalism. After all, there are laws in place that forbid it so we don't need all those people in uniform, right?

It's called enforcement and it's there to punish dickheads who think they're above the law.

Yes! And our crime rates are low, so lets fire the police too and save money!

Duh...

Lisner said

Scans for those not here with us:

Thanks lisner, even if it makes us sound as though we're dead!

I might copy vinnieK and sneak back too.

Before masses of speed limits are introduced, I think that the police should use the laws already available to them and deal with

all drivers using handheld mobile phones

all drivers & passengers refusing to wear seatbelts

check for those driving whilst afftected by drink or drugs

check that vehicles are in a safe condition

stop drunks staggering into the roads at weekends

and fully apply the existing speed limits

Then look to see if there' any improvement.

I really would be interested to see the accident make-up of driver's ages, genders, seatbelts worn etc, etc. Where's the evidence upon which to give an opinion?

Personally, I am totally sick of having the rights of the many eroded by the antics of the idiotic few.

Women are advised not go out alone because a few men can't control themselves.

Ditto children are judged not to be safe playing outside any more

We have to lock ourselves in to be safe from the troublesome few who should be locked up.

Am I alone?

Am I being naive to assume that speed cameras only catch people that are breaking the speedlimit?

In my experience, speed cameras slow the whole traffic flow down to e.g. 40mph in a 50mph zone and 20/25mph in a 30mph zone.

Plus the introduction of a speed limit creates a load of unnecessary 'new criminals' (you would be classed as a criminal doing 63 in a 60 zone) plus the associated loss of jobs and family hardship etc.

Idiots cause accidents - not speed.

In my experience, speed cameras slow the whole traffic flow down to e.g. 40mph in a 50mph zone and 20/25mph in a 30mph zone.

Oh noes! How will your undoubtedly cosmopolitan lifestyle which involves commuting vast distances to get to your place of work manage with such a hardship?

Err, leave 5 minutes earlier, that should do the trick.

Plus the introduction of a speed limit creates a load of unnecessary 'new criminals' (you would be classed as a criminal doing 63 in a 60 zone) plus the associated loss of jobs and family hardship etc.

Well, you always have that option of not doing it in the first place. If you're aware of the rammifications and risks, then don't. And if you do, and get caught, you really have no cause for complaint.

Archived