Continental Pavement Cafe Style Arrives In Douglas

manxchatterbox

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never understood the desire to sit outside a café in cold weather, regardless of whether there's a patio heater or not. The whole point of sitting outside of a café in summer is so that you can enjoy the weather and the view around basked in glorious sunlight. In colder weather you have to sit in the murky light, putting up with the occassional gust of wind, with nothing more to reflect upon than how miserable and dismal the surroundings look. All that is left is the vague appeal of 'sitting outside a café' which, if taken as a sole motivational factor is, along with reading Foucault and having an asymmetrical haircut, a mark of the most tryingest of try hards.

Environment be damned, the real menace of patio heaters is giving the kind of people who wish they lived in Islington or Shoreditch somewhere to congregate.

• 1 year later...

But it would be good to have some heating in this less than pavement cafe climate that we have!

Put another f@cking jumper on you pansy!!!!

As for continental cafe's, they will only be good if there's continental birds sat on the patio!!!

Thanks for the advice Stuart. BTW I am not a little show your face in the sunshine-type annual, but more a rugged, stalwart perennial! However a bit of heat never goes amiss!

Edit to correct typo: mixing up rugged with haggard!

Urm...........I'm saying nothing :ph34r:

The Queens Hotel are already making very good use of canopies / heaters / side screens and its rather nice to see a lot lf people making use of them.

I wandered a little further down to the Terminus on friday night and the 12 or so Canopy heaters were being made very good use of by the local moths.

Maybe a optional on/off pull this cord if your cold type switchy thing may be one simple enviromentally friendly addition to the array of canopy heaters we will see an upsurge in!

That's what I object to - if I were a non-smoker (I keep trying) I'd not want to inhale secondhand smoke either, so I can appreciate the arguments. So why won't the Government BAN tobacco sales to make it easier to give up? Because the taxes here are contributing £55,000 a DAY to the economy.

£55,000 a day in tax? Tax is based on 22% of the retail price of a packet of cigarettes, plus £105.10 per 1,000 cigarettes.

£105.10 per 1,000 = 2.10 per pack of 20

Take the average price of a pack of 20 as being £5.23 for the sake of argument (avge price seen online), so that's £3.13 after the first tax is deducted.

£3.13 / 122 * 100 = £0.57 (for the 22% of the retail price).

So that's £2.67 in tax on a £5.23 pack of cigarettes (and £2.56 pre-tax price for a pack of 20).

£55,000 / £2.67 = 20,599 packs of cigarettes per day? I doubt that very much for the IOM, which I assume is what you are implying when you said the line in the quote above.

Now obviously there's cigars, pipe tobacco etc to add into the equation, but still looks like a lot of tax for a small population :unsure:

Ok I promise you, if I am ever called on to give mouth to mouth resusitation, I'll finish my cigarette first.

Unless it's mcb....in which case, don't even bother taking the ciggie from between your lips.

£55,000 / £2.67 = 20,599 packs of cigarettes per day? I doubt that very much for the IOM, which I assume is what you are implying when you said the line in the quote above.

When you consider that 21,000 (for argument's sake) is about 25% of the population and the UK quotes that 26% of their population are smokers, it doesn't look too unrealistic.

Of course, that's assuming that the average smoker takes a pack a day. I know people who smoke more and people who smoke less and there are more of the latter that I know of. That's just who I know though.

I think the figure is on the high side, but I dont doubt it too much.

I don't think patio heaters are needed. When I was in Stockholm (sometimes a lot colder than here) a couple of years back there was a quite a few restaurants/cafes/pubs that simply had a fleece blanket on each seat to pop around your shoulders for warmth.

I don't think patio heaters are needed. When I was in Stockholm (sometimes a lot colder than here) a couple of years back there was a quite a few restaurants/cafes/pubs that simply had a fleece blanket on each seat to pop around your shoulders for warmth.

How long do you think they would last before being nicked, or ending up full of fag burns over here though?

Archived