Show Your Manxness Immigration Test

Port Erin

I thought the national foods were comedy fishing village dishes like kippers and queenies.

Chips, cheese, and gravy still wins in either case. Especially if accompanies by a slab of chicken that's been fried beyond all reasonable levels.

I reckon the journo pulled that dish out of his ass. how many people will sit down to that dish tonight? its a drunk out your skull meal.

I reckon the most popular meal at present will come out of a chinese takeaway, luvvvley :D

Sometimes i wonder with these newpapers, they will print any old shit that comes into there heads, im born and raised alongside the quay, never ate spuds and herring till i was 40 and i was wearing dinner jacket :rolleyes:

Generally of my era it was soups, stews and fish, interspaced with loadsa offal.

On the pastie and pie note, tescos are well worth a go :D

Sometimes i wonder with these newpapers, they will print any old shit that comes into there heads, im born and raised alongside the quay, never ate spuds and herring till i was 40 and i was wearing dinner jacket :rolleyes:

We used to be fed on herrings during the summer months. I can remember an old guy in a green austin van used to do the rounds shouting at the top of his voice "Fresh Herring" and ringing a bell.

These days its almost impossible to get a herring, at least a fresh Irish sea herring.

Manx National dish ?

Im not sure there is one anymore but Im very fond of a curry and particularly like queenies in curry sauce.

Fresh herring were delightfull, we had them fried, grilled, baked, soused also as roll mops {manx sushi?}

But salties,, nah, they are food from another era like salt pork and ships biscuits. If i never have another saltie it will be too soon. <_<

Ultra-fresh (I mean straight off the hook and under the grill) herring or mackerel, for that matter, are just ambrosia. Pity about the bones, but a chunk of crusty, buttered bread sorts that out!

I only had spuds and herring once years ago at "an evening" and there is a certain oily flavour to salted fish that is very distinct. You get the same with the Jamaican breakfast dish of ackee and codfish or saltfish, which was very reminiscent of the old spuds and herring, funnily enough!

Archived