Blowin' In The Wind

manxchatterbox

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fylde Council have banned kite flying from their beaches...I've seen some big kites down on Douglas beach..how long before the Douglas Corpn H&S guy gets ROSPA over and its decided that kite flying is too dangerous for Douglas beach too....

Well that depends. How long is the piece of string attached to said kite

See MCB, this is another case in point. Wouldn't it have stimulated an interesting debate if you could explain WHY Fylde Council have banned kite flying? Have they banned it on archaic beliefs of the uses to which beaches are put, is there a real H&S issue here that we hadn't thought of, shouldn't local authorities be trying to stimulate the use of beaches following the decline of the bucket and spade brigade, should beaches be considered as a free facility for all or tied up in regulations making them inaccessible to most?

Loads of scope, but little explored!

as long as it is from the hand grip to the kite...which is pretty long...so it goes up along way up from the beach to the puffy white sheep things...

Do you know anything about what you are talking about, no.

There is a local club being formed at the moment and a meeting is being setup to be in dialogue with the goverment on all power kite activities (kitesurfing/landboarding etc). We are all insured and affiliated to UK National or International bodies.

If you would like detailed information about the club, safety, locations etc, please feel free to contact me via PM. I'll be happy to tell you all about those 'puffy white sheep things' and answer any of your questions.

this is from the Fylde Borough Council web-site, and you can be sure where one council goes others will fall in line too "just to be on the safe side"...the question now is how long before Douglas Corpy follow suit because they think its the best thing to do...

Power Kites are to be banned from Fylde beaches, foreshores and public open spaces to ensure the safety of visitors and residents.

The ban follows a recent incident involving a Power Kite line becoming tangled around a pedestrian.

In light of this incident, the use of Traction Kites, Power Kites, Sports Kites, Stunt Kites, Flying Lines, or any similar kite is not allowed on any beach, foreshore or public open space within the Borough of Fylde.

However, the use of single line kites will not be affected. The existing ban on the use of all wind powered vehicles such as Sand Yachts, Kite Buggies and Parakarts, is still in force.

Susan Fazackerley, Cabinet Member for Risk Management and Health and Safety, said: “We don’t want to be over bureaucratic and spoil a day out in Fylde. But we are acutely aware of the potential for tragic accidents on the beaches of the borough.

“This ban is in response to a recent incident and following an assessment of the risks involved, we feel that this is an appropriate measure to ensure the health and safety of everybody on the beaches. We have targeted the specific kites that could cause serious injury. The use of single line kites, popular with children, is still allowed in the borough.”

Cllr Fazackerley added: “The safety of residents and visitors is paramount. That’s why we will look at more detailed risk assessments to address the longer-term safety issues on beaches and foreshores of Fylde.”

“This ban is in response to a recent incident and following an assessment of the risks involved, we feel that this is an appropriate measure to ensure the health and safety of everybody on the beaches. We have targeted the specific kites that could cause serious injury. The use of single line kites, popular with children, is still allowed in the borough.”

Cllr Fazackerley added: “The safety of residents and visitors is paramount. That’s why we will look at more detailed risk assessments to address the longer-term safety issues on beaches and foreshores of Fylde.”

A one in 5 million chance of being caught up in string!!! You've got a better chance of winning the lottery, being struck by lightning or suffocated by a passing plastic carrier bag.

People have no perception of risk or probability these days - yet base most of their opinions on it.

I've got an idea.

How about when MCB posts her next thread no-one replies at all?

Trolls don't like that you see and soon get fed up. All this co-dependency is doing no good whatsover. :)

Although... on a side note... I went to the doctor once with dreadful wind and asked if he could give me something for it.

I've got another idea:

when mcb posts her next thread no one posts a post to the post suggesting that no one posts a post to the thread.

and then someone else could post a post suggesting that no one posts a post to the post that suggested that no one posts a post to the post that suggested that no one post a post to mcb's thread

edited to add that I think that you'll find that is syntaxarily correct

Archived