Is 23 Too Young To Be An Mhk?

Albert Tatlock

According to Manx Radio - 'a 23 year-old Onchan man is to become one of the youngest ever challengers to contest a Manx General Election. Andrew Dossor has announced he will stand in the constituency in November.'

Personally I think 23 is a bit too young. I think you need quite a bit of life experience - or am I being 'ageist'.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

William Pitt the Younger became an MP in 1781 aged 21.

He was PM for 19 out of 25 years he spent in Parliament.

Hmmm...wasn't that the same Pitt who took the UK to war with France, suspended Habeas Corpus and then imprisoned those advocating parliamentary reform. Oh and to pay for the war increased taxation and invented the phrase 'government deficit'. A tory I believe, who today use him as a 'sterling example' from the past, but as usual forget to mention the cock-ups.

Too young to be an MHK? I'd rather have someone who knows something about modern culture. Some of the older members of government and legislature are really out of touch. Give the fellah a chance.

I assume you mean the younger generation? Well we don't know anything about him yet. He might be into 'Sparks' and 'Kraftwerk' or 'G4' for all we know.

Hmmm...wasn't that the same Pitt who took the UK to war with France, suspended Habeas Corpus and then imprisoned those advocating parliamentary reform. Oh and to pay for the war increased taxation and invented the phrase 'government deficit'. A tory I believe, who today use him as a 'sterling example' from the past, but as usual forget to mention the cock-ups.

Albert,

I'm not endorsing him but perhaps Mr Dossor starts with a clean slate.

As for Pitt: after a 25 year parliamentary career there wre bound to be blips - such minor matters that you mention such as being a tory are just bad luck!

Hopefully Mr Dossor will learn some lessons from the past to be avoided even if new ones need to be learned as well usually at the expense of the electorate if elected.

Albert,

I'm not endorsing him but perhaps Mr Dossor starts with a clean slate.

As for Pitt: after a 25 year parliamentary career there wre bound to be blips - such minor matters that you mention such as being a tory are just bad luck!

Hopefully Mr Dossor will learn some lessons from the past to be avoided even if new ones need to be learned as well usually at the expense of the electorate if elected.

A blip? The war lasted 22 years!

Perhaps all this is irrelevant to the situation in Onchan.

Mr Dossor has a right to stand and for the people of Onchan to make their minds up. He has no plans to take us to war as far as we know. This would be a bad career move.

He does have a website which doesn't mention any plans to stop "Habeas Corpus" or imprison those advocating parliamentary reform. So I feel he is making the right moves up to now.

It is good to see new people coming along with the confidence to give it a go. Many people will respond favourably to that.

I say good luck to him. We need some younger politicians to mix things up a bit, and maybe even get some younger people voting again.

A blip? The war lasted 22 years!

But then it was against France, and they probably deserved it.

I assume you mean the younger generation? Well we don't know anything about him yet. He might be into 'Sparks' and 'Kraftwerk' or 'G4' for all we know.

If he is into Sparks and Kraftwerk he has my vote!

Is 23 too young? No. All things being I tend to subscribe to the adage "give me a good old un, over a good young 'un" but I'd prefer inexperienced and enthusiastic over experience and incompetent any day.

Archived