Is 23 Too Young To Be An Mhk?

Albert Tatlock

Aye, you wont be able to for a small while yet!

Doing a lot of research into facts and figures to make sure i dont come out with unobtainable promises or unworkable schemes, so as soon as that's done i'll publish.

As i'm 23 theres people who dont think i'll be up to the job, so i need to make sure i have water tight propsals before I come out with anything.

Isn't now the time to outline some basics and recruit like-minded and possibly experienced people on here to give you a hand?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here here, I wish you all the very best of luck young one. It would be great to have a nice young person representing the people of the Island. We are to endure the ancient views of relics at the moment (with the exception of the few younger 50 somethings......)

Your maturity is far beyond your years IMHO. Good luck.

Good luck to Andrew.

No single person in Keys is going to change the world on their own, so it will do no harm at all to have a couple of representatives at the younger end of the age spectrum.

It will however add the chance to hear opinions that are greatly under represented at the moment.

Worst case scenario is becoming better known now with a view to kick ass in the 2011 election.

I am impressed by the amount of time you,Andrew, have spent sitting in the House of Keys and Tynwald listening and observing.

Some of our current Political Masters :blink: ( or servants as the case may be) have admitted that they had not even attended a Tynwald fair day before they were elected.

Good luck. I am not in Onchan but I do wish you well.

If Mr Dossor was a candidate in a single seat constituency, I'd be a bit concerned by his youth and inexperience of life. But time educates.

As Onchan has more than its share of MHKs it could prove to be safe testing ground for some young blood.

Can I just offer a suggestion that you have everything in your manifesto checked again and again. I'm no spelling or grammar expert, but these things do matter to some of us old buggars.

Good luck.

Aye, you wont be able to for a small while yet!

Doing a lot of research into facts and figures to make sure i dont come out with unobtainable promises or unworkable schemes, so as soon as that's done i'll publish.

As i'm 23 theres people who dont think i'll be up to the job, so i need to make sure i have water tight propsals before I come out with anything.

I wish you the very best of luck.

I'm currently reading a book that pretty much states the obvious a lot of the time but it still doesn't hurt to be reminded of such things.

The book is entitled 'It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be'. One of my favourite quotes from it so far is "You can achieve the unachievable".

If this is something you truly believe in and believe it is right for you then go for it and give it all you can, even if you do not succeed this time around, at least you tried. Too many people ignore the young but there are many who have the vision and wisdom beyond their years and they should be encouraged every step of the way.

Seconded!

Too many people say that young people have no drive or ambition, then when one shows the same, start knocking them for not having enough worldiness to achieve their aims! Bollocks to that, if your head is screwed on right, age should be no determiner!

• 6 months later...

Nice and concise but to win as a new candidate you need to saysomething which grabs the attention of the electorate.

What is it in your case? Have I missed it?

Two interests of mine:

What will you do about the Bishop's vote? Should he retain it, become a mere observer or be removed?

Climate change - should there be more tax on the aviation industry to reduce flying or should there be no change or even more help given so there they are more flights from the IOM? What is your position on the extended runway application?

Answers to questions such as these are not easy as no matter what you say you will upset a large section of the electorate. Perhaps you can give your answers and at the same time any other candidate is welcome to as well.

Good luck. You are a brave man to put your name forward.

Archived