Iom G 'stealth' Blanketing Already

Silentbob

On my way home last week, I noticed some dodgy looking grey signposts along the Old Castletown Road, as I suspected, they have been playing with their speed limit printing machine again, and have dumped their surplus along the length of the OCR.

From Douglas the entire length of the Old Castletown Road is now restricted, the first A road on the Island (outside of built up areas) to be totally limited.

Over the past 3 years, the DoT has extended speed limits well out of built up areas into the surrounding countryside, seemingly without anyone batting an eyelid.

I have lived on the OCR for all of my adult life, and can only recall 3 incidents causing serious injury or death, all 3 of which took place at speeds less than 60mph.

I really do think the DoT has way too much money, too many idle hands, and a complete lack of any understanding in road safety.

For Example

1. They put a Give Way sign on the southbound carraigeway of the OCR at its junction with Marine Drive, Twice now I have had people pull out right in front of me as they seem to think that because I am approaching a give way sign, I need to give way to them as well. Would be an interesting one for the courts.

2. They erected a "Give way in 80 yards" warning sign at the end of the OCR leading onto the Nunnery, with the Give Way sign in full view with the yellow surround, which viewing at 30 yards from the warning sign is about the same size as the Give Way sign itself.

These are the same bafoons that put up Identical "Give way to oncoming traffic" signs each side of the Iris roadworks on the Nunnery road, and installed the original 40 mph signs on the OCR the wrong way round making the run all the way onto Leigh Terrace unrestricted.

I truely believe the DoT has been over allocated its quota of incompetent staff, and a cull should be undertaken to root out the excess dullards before the damage has become too great.

Rant over, just need to collect my coat, and hail that TAAAXXXIII!!!

Whether or not any likes it, Everyone is going to get an all island speed limit, It justs looks better if the public agree first.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think ye be right.

I really do think the DoT has way too much money, too many idle hands, and a complete lack of any understanding in road safety.

707 staff in the DOT according to the government website. Which is 1.5% of the working population. (going by the 2001 census).

We've only got around 700 miles of roads. So each mile costs us £500 (average wage) per week before they even buy the materials, tools and vehicles etc. to fix or maintain that mile.

Sounds like we got us a good ol' base for a conspiracy theory. Can we have Iguanas and penguins in the mix though, I think we need to go exotic on this or it will lose pace.

Seriously though, I think we would find that about 3-400 of those staff are the pen pushing decision makers/dreamers, 250-275 are the allocated shovel attendants and a couple of dozen will be assigned to the propaganda machine.

1 guy though I know does actually work for a living, I think he must be a janitor cleaning out the bogs, 6 inch drains, 6 foot assholes; causes a lot of blockages in the Sea Terminal so I am lead to believe.

I like a nice blue cheese or salsa dip...and I'm sure there's one hidden in my fridge I can't find...

will the cost fo the new speed limit signs be offset by the re-cycled cost of the "no-limit" signs, or are those to be sold off as collectors items??

The current unrestricted signs are exactly the same as the UK's national speed limit signs, Would they change them to something different?

The current unrestricted signs are exactly the same as the UK's national speed limit signs, Would they change them to something different?

..well IF there is an upper all-Isalnd max of say 60 then there wouldn't be any need for any "unrestricted" signs would there?? so all those currently out there would be obsolete wouldn't they?? hence becoming collectors items...

No, but the unrestricted signs take on the meaning they have in the UK of "national speed limit". They wouldn't become collectors items, there's hundreds of them across the UK.

No, but the unrestricted signs take on the meaning they have in the UK of "national speed limit". They wouldn't become collectors items, there's hundreds of them across the UK.

AND

The national speed limit (i.e. 60 mph) would then apply to the piece of road.

BUT

The current Manx Highway Code book might become a collector's item, as this book has the sign as meaning end of speed restriction.

The addition of a 30mph limit between the top of Oak Hill and the other side of the village at the drop into Crogga is not my concern, in fact, inline with other villages around the Island, I welcome it. The issue is that this is the FIRST 'A' Road on the Island to be restricted along its entire length (as far as I can think)

The really funny thing is that Oatlands Road, Port Grenaugh Road (the one that goes past the Chief Minister's House) and the other link road that connects the OC Road and the Castletown Road in Santon remain unrestricted. The Grenaugh Road, and its adjacent link road are narrower than the OC Road, AND have more houses per mile upon their length.

Sorry DoT, again you never cease to amaze me with your idiotic ideas, methods and execution of road safety.

Archived