Eu Regulations Threaten Iom Railways.....

manxchatterbox

although the IOM isn't "in" the EU neverthless will our "Heritage Railways" be affected by this as they will in the UK??

from the House of Commons:-

Heritage Railways

Mr. Drew: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what assessment he has made of the implications for heritage railways of the EU directive on Railway and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006; and what representations he has received on this matter.

Derek Twigg: I laid before Parliament on 17 March 2006 the proposed Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations (ROGS) which implement the safety management aspects of EU Directive 2004/49/EC. An Explanatory Memorandum, Transposition Note and Regulatory Impact Assessment for all sectors of the railway, including heritage railways, accompany the proposed regulations. A copy has been placed in the House Library. Before laying the proposed regulations, I had a constructive meeting with representatives of heritage railways and representatives of the tramway industry on 1 March.

although the IOM isn't "in" the EU neverthless will our "Heritage Railways" be affected by this as they will in the UK??

Heritage Railways

Mr. Drew: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what assessment he has made of the implications for heritage railways of the EU directive on Railway and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006; and what representations he has received on this matter

Do you have a link to the document as...

Your search - "Railway and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006" - did not match any documents.

...and without knowing what is in the document how are we supposed to offer a balanced opinion to or answer to your question?

Another thread that offered so much yet delivered so little <_<

the passage is from the House of Commons Written Answers as reported in Hansard 18 April, 2006:-

Heritage Railways

Mr. Drew: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what assessment he has made of the implications for heritage railways of the EU directive on Railway and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006; and what representations he has received on this matter. [62430]

Derek Twigg: I laid before Parliament on 17 March 2006 the proposed Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations (ROGS) which implement the safety management aspects of EU Directive 2004/49/EC. An Explanatory Memorandum, Transposition Note and Regulatory Impact Assessment for all sectors of the railway, including heritage railways, accompany the proposed regulations. A copy has been placed in the House Library. Before laying the proposed regulations, I had a constructive meeting with representatives of heritage railways and representatives of the tramway industry on 1 March.

and EU link:-

http://europa.eu.int/abc/doc/off/bull/en/200404/p104089.htm

EU regulations = additional costs

As an example the Tromode meat plant is built to and operates to EU standards and look at cost of the processed finished product....

I foresee extra regulations..more ludicrous signs on the platforms etc..modifications to the carriages being necessary..drivers and guards having to be trained and tested in England, electric signalling having to be introduced, emission scrubbers being installed on the engines.....and more and more so that basically its just not worth running the steam or electric trains anymore...

I foresee extra regulations..more ludicrous signs on the platforms etc..modifications to the carriages being necessary..drivers and guards having to be trained and tested in England, electric signalling having to be introduced, emission scrubbers being installed on the engines.....and more and more so that basically its just not worth running the steam or electric trains anymore...

Excellent post :)

Whoops, I appear to have missed the following from my earlier post...

73 and a half pages of blah de blahhh....

All of this will help provide a framework within which the other, more specific aspects of the SMS (safety management system) required by the Regulations can be applied. The approach adopted in relation to the SMS should be adapted to the character and extent of the operation in question. For example, Heritage railway systems would not be expected to adopt the quantitative targets described below.

...45 more pages of blah de blahhh.

Source: The Railways and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006 - Guidance on Regulations. April 2006

Note the word 'guidence'? It appears to infer a degree of flexability.

That aside, as Selwyn would be more than happy to verify, there was a big tightening up of rules in regard to Health and Safety on the the Island's railways a few years ago and further improvements/initiatives have been ongoing since then.

This isn't to say that more changes will not occur in the future, but EU legislation will not sound the death knell for any of the local Heritage Railways either in legislative restrictions or fiscal penalty.

Heritage Railways

Mr. Drew: To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what assessment he has made of the implications for heritage railways of the EU directive on Railway and Other Guided Transport Systems (Safety) Regulations 2006; and what representations he has received on this matter.

We are not in Europe. There are plenty of EU Directives we don't bring in, although many end up being used as "guidance" on the IOM as (unlike the UK) we don't automatically have to adopt them. So why the question? As the trains don't go off Island (unlike other forms of transport that often have to abide by EU rules and regs where some work is undertaken off island) I can't see that this is any great shakes. Sounds like someone pitching for consultancy to write a report about the cost and impact "if" "if" "if" the Directive were to apply when it never will.

In other words - cobblers.

Even if it does affect the railway my arse went to sleep by Port Sodderick at the weekend as its such a crappy juddery ride on those things so it might not be such a bad thing.

JK:-

We are not in Europe. (Correct) There are plenty of EU Directives we don't bring in, although many end up being used as "guidance" on the IOM as (unlike the UK) we don't automatically have to adopt them. (but don't we seem to bringing in one's that cost money??) So why the question? As the trains don't go off Island (unlike other forms of transport that often have to abide by EU rules and regs where some work is undertaken off island) I can't see that this is any great shakes. (time will tell) Sounds like someone pitching for consultancy to write a report about the cost and impact "if" "if" "if" the Directive were to apply when it never will. (wouldn't surprise me, but think ROSPA or some other busy body interfering non-IOM organisation will say it does apply)

In other words - cobblers. (but I don't think that's what the Fat Controller would say)

Even if it does affect the railway my arse went to sleep by Port Sodderick at the weekend as its such a crappy juddery ride on those things so it might not be such a bad thing. (haven't been on the steam raileway since it re-opened - thought the all the track had been re-laid, at great expense, so it wasn't supposed to be juddery)

JK:-

We are not in Europe. (Correct) There are plenty of EU Directives we don't bring in, although many end up being used as "guidance" on the IOM as (unlike the UK) we don't automatically have to adopt them. (but don't we seem to bringing in one's that cost money??) So why the question? As the trains don't go off Island (unlike other forms of transport that often have to abide by EU rules and regs where some work is undertaken off island) I can't see that this is any great shakes. (time will tell) Sounds like someone pitching for consultancy to write a report about the cost and impact "if" "if" "if" the Directive were to apply when it never will. (wouldn't surprise me, but think ROSPA or some other busy body interfering non-IOM organisation will say it does apply)

In other words - cobblers. (but I don't think that's what the Fat Controller would say)

Even if it does affect the railway my arse went to sleep by Port Sodderick at the weekend as its such a crappy juddery ride on those things so it might not be such a bad thing. (haven't been on the steam raileway since it re-opened - thought the all the track had been re-laid, at great expense, so it wasn't supposed to be juddery)

Are you a school teacher? Was there any grammar or punctuation you felt like correcting at the same time. Please feel free. After all it was my fault for responding to your post with something lucid.

accepted your comments...just considering the arguement needs to go further and that those with a true interest in the IOM railways need to be aware of the likely threats from the EU that Tynwald seem to bend over to introduce just because they get a report from some namby pamby off Island busy bodies that think they know what's best for us and our visitors (i.e take a look at what's happened at Silverdale....)

Archived