How Many Are You And Where Are You From...

manxchatterbox

Completed mine last night (bit of a cheat, but I was pretty sure those that were here would stay put!). Interesting to focus on the degree of Manxness. Of the four of us, only one was born here and can trace Manx born predecessors back to two generations and yet we are all genetically (as opposed to maritally) related!

So are we Manx?

Completed mine this afternoon, did the last one only have eleven questions? Seemed awfully easy to complete to me.

Has anyone else had a look at their tax return this year? Only a double-sided A4 sheet this time around and not the usual book we get.

Not complaining mind, the less red tape the better as far as I am concerned.

:)

I also liked the way members of the armed forces and civil servants get out of saying what they do for a living.

Full Job title (enter rank here / give job title and grade at)

Main tasks done in job (it's a secret!)

Name of employer (enter 'armed forces' / government department / division)

Description of employer's business (it's a secret!)

WTF!

is there any sanction or penalty against you if you don't fill the Cencus form in and hand it back completed and signed??

From the front page of the form:

Completion of the Census Form is compulsory under the Census Act 1929. Any person knowingly supplying false information or refusing to complete a Census form is liable to prosecution

So if you look up the act then you'll be able to tell us what the penalties might be, given prosecution.

It's a hugely useful and interesting survey which provides valuable information which helps to shape policy and which also provides an interesting historical snapshot for future generations. There wouldn't be any reason to not want to be involved.

My partner has been looking up (online) her Manx family tree. The census is a valuable and interesting source of information. She was also able to look up my family. Granted - this is a mini census from which less information would be derived.

It's a good project, the census.

I also liked the way members of the armed forces and civil servants get out of saying what they do for a living.

Full Job title (enter rank here / give job title and grade at)

Main tasks done in job (it's a secret!)

Name of employer (enter 'armed forces' / government department / division)

Description of employer's business (it's a secret!)

WTF!

I suppose that the reasons for not having to state the nature of the business would exactly relate to the fact that people employed by Govt aren't allowed to say what they do. I don't know about the Isle of Man Civil Service (my guess is that even IOM DHSS clerks sign the Official Secrets Act) - but when I was a UK Civil Servant we were not, officially, allowed to say anything about what we did. However inconsequential we were.

I don't see anything nefarious in the exclusion. It would presumably relate to not wanting to create any confusion in the minds of thousands of ordinary people filling in the forms at home with their families. Who might otherwise be confused if the exclusion was not in place.

The census people are looking to create a statistical and historical snapshot. They aren't looking to dig into private or secret details.

Completed mine this afternoon, did the last one only have eleven questions? Seemed awfully easy to complete to me.

Has anyone else had a look at their tax return this year? Only a double-sided A4 sheet this time around and not the usual book we get.

Not complaining mind, the less red tape the better as far as I am concerned.

:)

This seems to vary from person to person. I've had a double sided A4 sheet for the past few years, others have received chunkier booklets to complete.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived