Sitting Members - One At A Time (17) Dominic Delaney

Lonan3

Would you vote for  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

MHK (Douglas East) 1976-95.

MLC 1995-2005.

MHK (Douglas West) 2005-

A lot of people like Dominic (with, or without, the wig!) and see him as the grit of sand in the eye of pompous local politicians.

My only concerns are the time he spent as an MLC - nearly 10 years - rather than facing the electorate and the fact that he proclaims this to be 'undemocratic,' and a habit of becoming sidetracked onto issues that don't really matter rather than concentrating on the major ones.

That said, however, he is approachable and does listen to his constituents.

So, the choice is yours. If you were able to cast a vote in his constituency, would you cast it for him?

PS: Could a mod pin this for me, please?

MHK (Douglas East) 1976-95.

MLC 1995-2005.

MHK (Douglas West) 2005-

A lot of people like Dominic (with, or without, the wig!) and see him as the grit of sand in the eye of pompous local politicians.

My only concerns are the time he spent as an MLC - nearly 10 years - rather than facing the electorate and the fact that he proclaims this to be 'undemocratic,' and a habit of becoming sidetracked onto issues that don't really matter rather than concentrating on the major ones.

That said, however, he is approachable and does listen to his constituents.

So, the choice is yours. If you were able to cast a vote in his constituency, would you cast it for him?

PS: Could a mod pin this for me, please?

I'll go with that. However along with Victor Kneale he is the only one to resign from Legco and actually get voted back as an MHK. Which I suppose is a good test of public opinion - despite the fact that he spent more time on the self in Legco than a Shoprite loaf.

However - given all the dodginess associated with goings on in West [and East] Douglas I would have thought he would raised more serious issues by now rather than having a go at the post office for closing a post office that nobody used.

I'd vote a resounding Yes for Dominic Delaney.

His political knowledge is first rate (second only to Victor Kneale IMO) and that, along with his independent mind, means he should be returned at the next election.

Yes, he wants an elected LegCo and his fellow politicians ensured that he put his money where his mouth was and practically forced him to stand for popular election in place of the mealy-mouthed (and when trouble stirs) subterranean face of politics, Alex 'Disappearing' Downey.

Now's the time for the invertebrates on LegCo to put themselves up to the electorate.

They have no mandate from me to take part in governing my life, thankyou.

However - given all the dodginess associated with goings on in West [and East] Douglas I would have thought he would raised more serious issues by now rather than having a go at the post office for closing a post office that nobody used.

I read today's Examiner. I take that last remark back. Good on you Dom.

In Tynwald when he is talking and so is Peter Karan they wont heckle because if they do (althouhg some do . . !) then they are saying "oh it is me that you are really talking about" on the defence sort of thing.

So they stay pokker faced and listen even though it must hurt them to do it but usually they endure it for 20 minutes as otherwise they would be sussed and we would not vote them back in lol!!!!!

I think he should put the wig back on for the election to give us a grin (but we'll stuill vote for him!!! ), But ion second thoughts perhaps not put wig back on !!

Did anyone remember the simpsons when homer got to put snakes wig on afetr he had been executed and took on his personae!!! So perhaps not a good ideaon second thoughts,

Anyway its about policies not about cosmetics !!!

Good on ya Dominic, keep on trucking. It wil be a sad when this Island turns its back on politicians who are down to earth and dont like the 'club' And there will plenty of them crawling for your vote soon!!!!

I would definitely vote for Dom, I saw him speak recently in Ramsey, he was amusing and informative. His grasp of the English language owes more to needing to impress rather than lack of intelligence. A man at ease with himself and his politics. He doesn't patronise and speaks his mind. More people like him and Karren please.

Voted yes for Dominic but I do have some reservations.

For those of you who dont know, the seeds of the current housing shortage were sown during Dominic's time at DOLGE. In my opinion this is a serious black mark against him and we have never been made party to the thinking which led to a virtual halt in new house construction during his time as head honcho.

On the plus side, during a long and arguably undistinguished career as a politician, he has managed to keep in touch with the mind set of normal working class people and has never been afraid of speaking out against injustices.

I think he is worth one more term.

I'm a cautious yes to Mr Delaney. I respect his back ground as a soldier and business man and he's served long and hard for his constituents.

But he's more than once sounded off without informing himself of the facts. I suppose his defenders would say he comes to his opinion and sticks to it, but that aspect of him does make me more than a little reluctant to vote yes ... has he any chance of a position of merit? If all he's got is being seen as a blocker and a trouble maker and trying to ensure his constuency gets its fair share, I worry.

Archived