Safer Island Driving

Amadeus

Now then - where did we stop last time? Ah yes, at the first meeting against the limit...

Well, in case you haven't followed the news, a lot has happened since. A new group has been formed, going by the name of SID or Safer Island Driving, with the agreed aim of supporting sensible Government measures that improve safer driving on the Isle of Man, other than a national speed limit.

Emails have been exchanged, meetings were held, and things are progressing in a very positive and constructive way. SID is not meant to be a short term protest group, but a long term effort to relay public opinion about driving on the Island to the Government. There's a Forum as well, and the next meeting will be held on:

Monday

22nd of May

7pm

The Outback

Barrack Street, Douglas

The consultation has closed now as well - any bets on the outcome?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I support the introduction of a speed limit, the result of the consultation should be immediately discounted as it's clearly been orchestrated in such a way to reach the conclusion they wanted, not the conclusion of the general public.

I agree that things should just be left where they are until they can come up with a fair method of measuring public opinion.

Just a stab in the dark, but how about a tick box on the road tax renewal form?

That way everyone with a vehicle gets a single vote and the results will be accurate

Oh yes it would also cost a bucket load of cash less than the "consultation"

Sounds good - I tax 5 of 'em - so thats 5 'NO' votes.

A better idea is a tick box for every cc of your motor times the number cylinders - so that 306800 'NO' votes for me!

:)

That way everyone with a vehicle gets a single vote and the results will be accurate

Oh yes it would also cost a bucket load of cash less than the "consultation"

Why just everyone with a vehicle? It's a decision that affects everyone IMO, driving or not, vehicle-owning or not.

The best way is by natural selection.

Simple. The current MHKs arguing to impose an All-Island Speed will either be returned or not, come November.

So for a minute ignore your current feelings on the matter - if your precious job and ego and lifetsyle as being one of the members of the 'best club in the World' depended on it - which way would you decide?

These guys have obviously considered this and I would hope that they believe the majority of the electorate are behind them on this, or at least their constituents.

I think that's the DoT thinking with the questionnaire and its timing in the run up to an election.

They want to say that the majority of people support an all-island limit, so that the MHK's play safe and go along with a majority view. How cynical.

The thought that someone possibly sat in a back office filling in YES boxes, or throwing away as spoiled anything with a NO box ticked is probably just my paranoia and distrust of those who use propaganda to achieve their objectives.

distrust of those who use propaganda to achieve their objectives.

Yeah, you just can't trust that Amadeus guy

propaganda

n : information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause

the only outcome with any validity is status quo.

Please god no!

Think I heard a certain forum member on the radio this morning whilst trying to avoid getting out of bed. ;)

The consultation has closed now as well - any bets on the outcome?

With any luck a blanket limit - while over a few weeks ago I noticed most drivers were very happy to poodle along at 40 mph. What's the point in going faster - other than increasing your own stress levels?

Maybe the selfish speed merchants and 4x4 owners should be put on the next boat :P .

distrust of those who use propaganda to achieve their objectives.

Yeah, you just can't trust that Amadeus guy

propaganda

n : information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause

Hm..so if both sides use propaganda, would that make things balanced?...

With any luck a blanket limit - while over a few weeks ago I noticed most drivers were very happy to poodle along at 40 mph. What's the point in going faster - other than increasing your own stress levels?

Maybe the selfish speed merchants and 4x4 owners should be put on the next boat :P .

Missed the point...

Missed the point...

Don't think so - if we either deport or better still lock up Stu Peters and the 4x4 brigade the Island will be safer for all other drivers. QED, title of thread etc.

Just because I drive a 1989 Rover 1000 Metro (yellow) has nothing to do with it.

I would also lock up Chris Williams and all other MR 'jocks' who talk over the records but that's because I'm a music lover.

Don't think so - if we either deport or better still lock up Stu Peters and the 4x4 brigade the Island will be safer for all other drivers. QED, title of thread etc.

Just because I drive a 1989 Rover 1000 Metro (yellow) has nothing to do with it.

I would also lock up Chris Williams and all other MR 'jocks' who talk over the records but that's because I'm a music lover.

I think that Swiss attitude towards cars and driving is getting to you - tinfoil hat urgently recommended :)

Archived