Safer Island Driving

Amadeus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think so - if we either deport or better still lock up Stu Peters and the 4x4 brigade the Island will be safer for all other drivers. QED, title of thread etc.

Just because I drive a 1989 Rover 1000 Metro (yellow) has nothing to do with it.

I would also lock up Chris Williams and all other MR 'jocks' who talk over the records but that's because I'm a music lover.

I think that Swiss attitude towards cars and driving is getting to you - tinfoil hat urgently recommended :)

Last season Clarkson said that the greatest threat to cars in Switzerland is public transport - and he was correct, it's cheap and excellent.

Just because I care about the environment...

I think that's the DoT thinking with the questionnaire and its timing in the run up to an election.

They want to say that the majority of people support an all-island limit, so that the MHK's play safe and go along with a majority view. How cynical.

The thought that someone possibly sat in a back office filling in YES boxes, or throwing away as spoiled anything with a NO box ticked is probably just my paranoia and distrust of those who use propaganda to achieve their objectives.

brothers and sisters lets all stay together for a common goal,the future is in the past for problems like speeding, congestion and overcrowding on the roads,we need LESS VEHICLECS on the road,i am sure you will have noticed this if you are trying to get into douglas in the morning,and now there is talk about traffic lights at the quarterbridge,what we need is a decent rail system put back in place,with modern rolling stock,this was suggested some time ago,but of course it fell on deaf ears,once again it was going to be to exspensive,but we need to look at the long term,would it not be better to have less sitting in traffic queues,less pollution,and for a lot of people less stress...........

From ManxRadio this morning: Dudley Butt MLC has compiled some very interesting figures in regards to fatal accidents on the Island, dating from 1948 to now.

As always: any stats can be interpreted either way, but the fact that the number of vehicles has risen sharply over the years (11769 in 1958, 73496 in 2005), yet the number of fatalities has not, is interesting to note.

The detailed documents can be found on the SID Forum

From ManxRadio this morning: Dudley Butt MLC has compiled some very interesting figures in regards to fatal accidents on the Island, dating from 1948 to now.

As always: any stats can be interpreted either way, but the fact that the number of vehicles has risen sharply over the years (11769 in 1958, 73496 in 2005), yet the number of fatalities has not, is interesting to note.

The detailed documents can be found on the SID Forum

Car construction has improved enormously. It's a shame that the MR presenters have all deviated to the dark side - we would otherwise have some reasoned debate.

At least moaner Moffat has kept his beak out of this one so far.

I think that's the DoT thinking with the questionnaire and its timing in the run up to an election.

They want to say that the majority of people support an all-island limit, so that the MHK's play safe and go along with a majority view. How cynical.

The thought that someone possibly sat in a back office filling in YES boxes, or throwing away as spoiled anything with a NO box ticked is probably just my paranoia and distrust of those who use propaganda to achieve their objectives.

brothers and sisters lets all stay together for a common goal,the future is in the past for problems like speeding, congestion and overcrowding on the roads,we need LESS VEHICLECS on the road,i am sure you will have noticed this if you are trying to get into douglas in the morning,and now there is talk about traffic lights at the quarterbridge,what we need is a decent rail system put back in place,with modern rolling stock,this was suggested some time ago,but of course it fell on deaf ears,once again it was going to be to exspensive,but we need to look at the long term,would it not be better to have less sitting in traffic queues,less pollution,and for a lot of people less stress...........

Very interesting reading.

Surprised at the increase in registered vehicles from 1948 - 2005 (why that's 60,000 vehicles in less than 15 minutes! :P )

Car construction has improved enormously. It's a shame that the MR presenters have all deviated to the dark side - we would otherwise have some reasoned debate.

I think the piece on Mandate was very reasoned, and the stats are open to interpretation from both sides, as any stats always are...

I still think the Swiss got on to you - nothing against public transport, btw...

I think the piece on Mandate was very reasoned, and the stats are open to interpretation from both sides, as any stats always are...

I still think the Swiss got on to you - nothing against public transport, btw...

Best way to get great public transport on the Island would be to ban Stu Peters and his posse from driving for a week, then they would have something sensible to complain about.

How about it - MR's 2006 Environment Campaign - Mandate presenters give up driving for a week?

the stats are open to interpretation from both sides, as any stats always are...

I disagree - these are actually facts not statistics. There may well be factors that influence the interpretation of results (the statistics), such as better vehicle/tyre design etc., but you will find that these are actually insignificant in any rigourous statistical analysis. For those factors to become significant - practically everyone would have had to have a near fatal collision in the past 20 years - in similar conditions that caused the fatalities of the previous 20 years.

The interpretation of data and the manipulation of statistics always comes from the emotion, bias and spin of non-mathematical and non-scientific types who have another agenda. Too many decisions are based on peoples unrealistic assessment of data - yet the majority base their opinions on unrealistic assessments.

I disagree - these are actually facts not statistics. There may well be factors that influence the interpretation of results (the statistics), such as better vehicle/tyre design etc., but you will find that these are actually insignificant in any rigourous statistical analysis. For those factors to become significant - practically everyone would have had to have a near fatal collision in the past 20 years - in similar conditions that caused the fatalities of the previous 20 years.

The interpretation of data and the manipulation of statistics always comes from the emotion, bias and spin of non-mathematical and non-scientific types who have another agenda. Too many decisions are based on peoples unrealistic assessment of data - yet the majority base their opinions on unrealistic assessments.

Agreed.

(Irrespective of the subject matter...) Good to see somebody in Government able and prepared to dig out some numbers and show how simple it is to compile information without the need to spend thousands on a consultant.

Just a stab in the dark, but how about a tick box on the road tax renewal form?

Sounds good - I tax 5 of 'em - so thats 5 'NO' votes.

A better idea is a tick box for every cc of your motor times the number cylinders - so that 306800 'NO' votes for me!

:)

Christ what sort of cars do you have? My car is fairly powerful and my count on that basis would only be 19,000-odd for one car

Just a stab in the dark, but how about a tick box on the road tax renewal form?

Sounds good - I tax 5 of 'em - so thats 5 'NO' votes.

A better idea is a tick box for every cc of your motor times the number cylinders - so that 306800 'NO' votes for me!

:)

Christ what sort of cars do you have? My car is fairly powerful and my count on that basis would only be 19,000-odd for one car

Just added mine up and get 116,400 votes, I think he must be into road haulage, or theres a zero on the end that shouldnt be there.

Just a little bump for the meeting tonight - 7pm, The Outback.

Oh, and can I point out that neither SID nor me are behind this site:

Island of Stupid People

Just thought I mention it before someone finds it anyway - bit outdated as well...

Archived