Safer Island Driving

Amadeus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speed cameras on built up areas and this will free up the boy's in blue to tackle the bad drivers on the roads by the use of unmarked police cars.

I say no to a all island speed limit but i say yes to speed cameras and ways of tackling the biggest problem on manx road.

from what i see the main problem is:

1. R plated young people not folowing the law

2. Bad driving by a select few

3. Speeding in built up areas and 30mph zones.

compared to the built up areas the mountain road has less acciedents

I'd add to those groups:

Volvo drivers - they seem to actively aim for people on bikes for some reason, and they seem to be the worst offenders for going 40mph on a derestricted road, causing a big tailback, then continuing at 40mph when they reach a 30 zone and getting ahead of the traffic behind them. Perhaps it's some kind of hare & tortoise 'slow & steady wins the day' attitude....

BMW drivers who seem to be the worst offenders for driving whilst holding a phone to their ear.

In all seriousness I wouldn't even really object to speed cameras in built up 30 & 20 zones near schools etc.

I'd add to those groups:

Volvo drivers - they seem to actively aim for people on bikes for some reason, and they seem to be the worst offenders for going 40mph on a derestricted road, causing a big tailback

Its a volvo!, It has tonnes of weight to shift and will never go anywhere fast!

I never got one of the forms, but loads of people I know went and got extras from the post offices and filled loads in...the whole thing is rubbish, and if anything like the smoking "consultation" they'll probably just lie about the results anyway (93% of people support a smoking ban?? yeah right).

Was planning to go to the "No Limit" group's meetings, but only as they were against the speed limit. Not interested in a group promoting themselves as "Safer Island Driving", the only reason you're getting together is because you're anti speed limit, so say so!

Nice one to Mr Butt, something he's been saying for years...

Was planning to go to the "No Limit" group's meetings, but only as they were against the speed limit. Not interested in a group promoting themselves as "Safer Island Driving", the only reason you're getting together is because you're anti speed limit, so say so!

Nice one to Mr Butt, something he's been saying for years...

Yes, we are indeed against the introduction of a speed limit - there are better and more effective ways to improve road safety on the Island, and we believe that this issue should be tackled differently. Visit our Forum if you want, or come along to our next meeting, and I'll be happy to explain our aims to you myself.

• 3 months later...
I took an S80 T6 for a test drive the other day, and that shifted a bit.

(As you'd expect from a 2.9 litre straight six twin turbo engine pushing out 272bhp.)

Thing is, you're cracking along at 90mph but it feels like 30mph, such is the refinement of the ride.

I was very tempted but with petrol prices the way they are (and the way they're going to go), it'd be somewhat pricey doing the Ramsey-Douglas commute.

Yep, big Volvos are nice - solid lumps of steel with wheels. :)

But petrol consumption could really be a problem - I've driven a few of them in the past, and they all had a bit of a drinking habit - not nice when it comes to filling up... But then, there's still that other brand from Sweden as well:

post-1086-1158739189_thumb.jpg

so has it all fizzled out now ?

Your search "nolimit priv_forum index" did not return any results

:(

New Site

Thanks for pointing that out - moved to the new site quite a while ago actually, and were even at the motor show recently to raise some more support, and to show that we are still around:

post-1086-1158739281_thumb.jpg post-1086-1158739312_thumb.jpg

It may feel a bit quiet at the moment, but that's mainly due to us trying to take a more active approach, and doing all this in our spare time as well. Basically, it will take a bit of time until some changes have been made which are necessary if we want to pursue our current plans - you'll hear about it in time!

In the meanwhile, it appears as if more and more new speed limits are popping up, which seem to be based on people ticking "Yes" on question 1 in the recent "consultation":

post-1086-1158740174_thumb.jpg

It appears as if what many have predicted has occured: Ticking "Yes" there was automatically interpreted as supporting more limits. Some additional limits may well be justified and right, but I'm a bit dissapointed that it all really appears to have been a waste of time and money, if things are still done the way they were done before. :(

BTW: It seems as if Ballacraine (coming from Douglas) will be the next new limit, and between upper and lower Foxdale is now 40mph - comments on any new limits are always welcome (for and against - as I said, some new restrictions may well be justified).

And finally: SID very much welcomed the recent Lost Souls campaign by the DoT, and its emphasis on advanced driver training and post-test training, as we believe that these measures can play an important role in making the Island's roads safer.

.....snip........In the meanwhile, it appears as if more and more new speed limits are popping up.....snip......

Which is hardly surprising, is it? If you believe that by helping to prevent the introduction of a National Speed limit, you have stopped those in power pursuing it through other means (i.e. varying speed limits introduced here, there and everywhere), you are truly naive.

Or stupid.

Or maybe both.

You got to love them though. I mean, how many serious accidents have there been between upper and lower Foxdale? The newly restricted bit is basically a straight of a couple of hundres yards.

The problem is that they are starting to add inappropriate limits in some places (Ballasalla for example) du to their lack of understanding of road calming.

....snip.......I mean, how many serious accidents have there been between upper and lower Foxdale? .....snip.......

Which, of course, if there had have been a number of 'serious' accidents, would have prompted many to say they were being reactionary and not proactive in their approach towards road safety.

Maybe, in this case, prevention is better than cure.

And if the new bit is a 'straight of a couple of hundred yards' then what's the problem? It would be barely long enough for you to build up your speed 'boner' anyway.

Archived