What Are The 'core Manx Values'?

Albert Tatlock

Agree with you on that Politician, there truly isn't a day goes by without someone making me belly laugh! The keen sense of humour, I think, is to do with a less fearful way of life (even if that fear is sub-conscious); you can afford to let your guard down and laugh! That is a very important commodity!

Cheerfulness.

As a comeover, it seems to me that Manx people are a lot happier and more laid-back than their British counterparts.

Then again, people living here have a lot more to be cheerful about than those living across.

Doesn't our island have a high suicide rate though? :unsure:

I'm not into statistics, but I suspect with such a small population the percentages can be moved very dramatically with just one incident!

The IOM was also the "murder capital" of the UK (or Europe or wherever the comparison was), but this was after a number of "domestics", not the lone killer out for blood. Yet, the stats said that this was a very unsafe to be!

It's very easy to take "rates" at face value without thinking it through. Perhaps the high rate of suicide is because more people take an interest in their fellow man so can indicate that suicide was likely, rather than the matter being closed with a reason-unknown verdict!

The British Government say classes could be set up to teach "core British values" to children in England.

Should they do it here - and if so which words describe Manx values to you?

Traa dy looar.

Cheerfulness.

As a comeover, it seems to me that Manx people are a lot happier and more laid-back than their British counterparts.

Then again, people living here have a lot more to be cheerful about than those living across.

Once I would have agreed with you but nowadays I feel it's getting more and more like Britain.

The island isn't what it was say 10 years ago, much busier, more people rushing about like idiots, the list goes on, but that's my view.

Once I would have agreed with you but nowadays I feel it's getting more and more like Britain.

The island isn't what it was say 10 years ago, much busier, more people rushing about like idiots, the list goes on, but that's my view.

I agree - there's not that much left which identifies the Island from the UK any more. Regional identity yes, but nothing that special.

I don't get all these people rushing around, I work with a lot of people who rush around and never seem to slow down for anything. I couldn't live like that, and anyone says they absolutely have to don't have any respect for themselves.

I honestly believe this to be one of the problems with the road situation also.

I don't believe a blanket speed limit will solve this either unless extremely well enforced which I have no confidence in happening. Why do I think this? Well because I can go weeks without seeing a single policeman or car, on such a small Island I find this laughable.

People seem to rush a hell of a lot on the roads mainly during peak rush hour times (and no that's not what rush hour stands for!!). So many people rush on the roads well beyond what I see both vehicle capabilities or conditions.

I especially find it amazing the speed people travel in poor conditions, today (heavy mist/fog) being a prime example.

People also seem to constantly be cutting up corners now where you come round a bend only to find a car half way over your side, I feel I'm always the one having to slow down and move over for these obnoxious people.

If your vehicle can't go round the corner on your side of the road, you're going too fast, plain and simple.

This seems to be ever increasing as does the whole pushing through gaps in the road whereby cars are parked on one side, you can't even let a car through now out of courtesy without everyone else piling through after it without so much as a thankyou.

Not how I remember growing up.

I honestly believe this to be one of the problems with the road situation also.

I don't believe a blanket speed limit will solve this either unless extremely well enforced which I have no confidence in happening. Why do I think this? Well because I can go weeks without seeing a single policeman or car, on such a small Island I find this laughable.

People seem to rush a hell of a lot on the roads mainly during peak rush hour times (and no that's not what rush hour stands for!!). So many people rush on the roads well beyond what I see both vehicle capabilities or conditions.

I especially find it amazing the speed people travel in poor conditions, today (heavy mist/fog) being a prime example.

People also seem to constantly be cutting up corners now where you come round a bend only to find a car half way over your side, I feel I'm always the one having to slow down and move over for these obnoxious people.

If your vehicle can't go round the corner on your side of the road, you're going too fast, plain and simple.

This seems to be ever increasing as does the whole pushing through gaps in the road whereby cars are parked on one side, you can't even let a car through now out of courtesy without everyone else piling through after it without so much as a thankyou.

Not how I remember growing up.

That's something that really winds me up too, especially the oblivious look on the face of the person who has just nearly taken you out.

"What is it about Manx people? They're so laid back, so easy-going, so relaxed about everything - but as soon as they get behind the wheel of a car they turn into raving lunatics."

Approximate quote from a Mancunian friend - Circa 1967!

Well whu cares what the Manx core values are. 2 Me the core values are or rather WERE such as honestly and pleasantness, freindliness, hardworking and such etc.

Then the bullies and rich people who have acqired money from questionable means come over and make freinds with them in power and tak over the Island, and in their BMWs

So there is a NEW type of core value on the NEW Isle of MAn. AND THoese values are greed amd excessiv selfishness. They have in the main dropped there routes because there routes know all about them but here they start a knew life afresh and if they are rich we think they must be hardworking and honest (lol!!!!!)

The ISLE OF MAN - a place to be greedy and smarmy and show off your new trophy car and suit and horrible wife, excep shes always pleasant in the restaurant and stuf when showing her off.

basically it is all one big tax dodge from the UK excheqer

ISLE OF MAN -

FREEDOM TO SAY F.U. to the UK TAXMAN

ps add grubbiness and sneakiness to the core values

Archived