Speed Cameras

Theskeat

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently, it's not a speed camera at Ballaugh - according to the Manx Radio Website

ThreeFM has this:

Posted on 18 May, 2006

Island motorists will have their speeds monitored, but there’ll be no fines dished out just yet.

The Department of Transport has revealed it’s to begin installing new safety equipment on the Island’s roads.

It comes after days of confusion over rumours workers are busy putting speed cameras in Ballaugh.

Although work is underway in the area, it’s to fit units that tell drivers if they’re travelling above the speed limit and to warn them of pedestrians.

However, according to a DOT spokesperson the new equipment is capable of photographing speeders and sending the image back to the department.

If this is put into practice in the future, people caught breaking the limit would at first receive a written reprimand and not a fixed penalty notice.

Apparently, it's not a speed camera at Ballaugh - according to the Manx Radio Website

ThreeFM has this:

Posted on 18 May, 2006

If this is put into practice in the future, people caught breaking the limit would at first receive a written reprimand and not a fixed penalty notice.

I like that idea, plus I think the "actual speed" signs are a good idea too.

Incidentally, I just noticed this. You do know there's a reciprocal agreement now with the UK DVLA and offences committed on either side of the water will result in points on the appropriate licence?

I called them up a couple of weeks ago; they confirmed that points do come over as well, so, if caught in the UK and given 3 points, 3 points will appear on your IOM license. So, points and Ban’s are reciprocal.

As far as if they will give up an IOM residents address if caught on camera as opposed to being pulled over I do not know...

Other thing I was wondering about, do they have a data reciprication? If I get caught on camera in the UK will they be able to trace me?

yes they will,all your details are on computer,but you cannot pay the fine,they have not sorted out that part of it yet,but it wont be long.........

Other thing I was wondering about, do they have a data reciprication? If I get caught on camera in the UK will they be able to trace me?

yes they will,all your details are on computer,but you cannot pay the fine,they have not sorted out that part of it yet,but it wont be long.........

Reciprocal agreement shouldn't have been allowed to happen - as we are not part of the UK. This implies that it will also be the same for driving in Europe - again which we are not part of (except geographically of course).

We are being sold out.

I saw the "not a speed camera" thingy at Ballaugh today, certainly looked like a Gatso to me, going that way tomorrow so will check it out again. As it is pointing towards Kirk Michael it will only be taking front views of traffic coming into Ballaugh from that direction so as far as sending warnings (or fines) to speeding motorcyclists, that won't be happening will it?

I saw the "not a speed camera" thingy at Ballaugh today, certainly looked like a Gatso to me, going that way tomorrow so will check it out again.

Any chance of a piccy if anyone is passing?

I know I could just drive out there, but odds are if I do, it'll get me 3 points!

They won't care, and they'll walk away with a clean license.

Incidentally, I just noticed this. You do know there's a reciprocal agreement now with the UK DVLA and offences committed on either side of the water will result in points on the appropriate licence?

I don't think a Manx court can endorse a UK license, I only thought it worked the other way.

Perhaps someone could expand on this or show me to be wrong?

They won't care, and they'll walk away with a clean license.

I don't think a Manx court can endorse a UK license, I only thought it worked the other way.

Perhaps someone could expand on this or show me to be wrong?

Wasn't this reciprocal arrangement entered into before last TT week with lots of media coverage that you CAN lose your UK or Irish licence over here?

The "offending" item,

It better not be a speed camera because I don’t know of anyone who could even get over 35 going over the bridge on open roads without getting some serious air!

That looks more like one of those traffic light cameras they have in the UK.

There used to be a great photo in the pub just past Ballaugh Bridge of a TT bike mid-air over the bridge with the rider flying though the air, taking a nose dive into the stream. Pretty sure he wasn't hurt, but a great pic!

The "offending" item,

It better not be a speed camera because I don’t know of anyone who could even get over 35 going over the bridge on open roads without getting some serious air!

It certainly looks like it could be used as a speed camera. I wonder if the head swivels round the other way.

I've convinced myself, "it's a speed camera"

Archived