Speed Cameras

Theskeat

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I see infact it is not a speed camera at all.....

There's been some confusion amongst Manx motorists for the last couple of weeks, with rumours circulating far and wide that radar speed cameras were being installed in Ballaugh.

But that's NOT what a crew has been installing this week. According to the Road Policing Unit it's actually just an electronic safety sign warning approaching motorists of traffic or pedestrians.

From Manx Radio

It looks a bit small to be a road safety sign don't you think?

3FM are reporting this:

Posted on 18 May, 2006

Island motorists will have their speeds monitored by cameras, but there’ll be no fines dished out just yet.

The Department of Transport has revealed it’s to begin installing new safety equipment on the Island’s roads.

It comes after days of confusion over rumours workers are busy putting speed cameras in Ballaugh.

Although work is underway in the area, it’s to fit units that tell drivers if they’re travelling above the speed limit and to warn them of pedestrians.

However, according to a DOT spokesperson the new equipment is capable of photographing speeders and sending the image back to the department.

If this is put into practice in the future, people caught breaking the limit would at first receive a written reprimand and not a fixed penalty notice.

Link Here

It may well have a flashing orange light on it but I bet it doubles up as a camera

Island motorists will have their speeds monitored by cameras, but there’ll be no fines dished out just yet.

...because for them to issue fines they need to paint markers on the road to give a physical representation of the speed of the vehicle. As the DOT can't be arsed or haven't got to that page in the manual yet no fines can be issued! :D

EDIT: Done some digging on this camera. It's a watchman speed camera and from what I've read it is questionable whether this unit has been type approved yet. It features two cameras, one for numberplate recognition and one for recording offences - I think these are digital video cameras rather than still cameras. Recording is done digitally to hard drive and the thing can communicate with base via GSM (and I assume 3G). The full system includes the familiar illuminated flashy speed limit board as well so there should be no excuse if you get caught by this one! (Assuming of course that the DOT install the full "traffic calming system")

There is no legislation yet in the Isle of Man for the DOT or Police to use speed cameras to enable anyone to be prosecuted

Presently they're intended for statistical purposes, they've probably got most of the departmental scribes eagerly awaiting figures for their next propaganda installment :rolleyes:

They won't care, and they'll walk away with a clean license.

Incidentally, I just noticed this. You do know there's a reciprocal agreement now with the UK DVLA and offences committed on either side of the water will result in points on the appropriate licence?

I don't think a Manx court can endorse a UK license, I only thought it worked the other way.

Perhaps someone could expand on this or show me to be wrong?

Wasn't this reciprocal arrangement entered into before last TT week with lots of media coverage that you CAN lose your UK or Irish licence over here?

Reciprocal Driving Bans Agreement

Introduced in 2005, if you receive a driving disqualification in the Isle of Man, it also applies in the UK and Northern Ireland.

Any ban is only lifted once the Isle of Man disqualifications has ended. If you lose your licence for a motorcycle offence, this also applies to any other vehicle licence you hold.

Licensing Authorities of other Countries outside the UK and Northern Ireland are notified of any disqualification issued in the Isle of Man.

I want to see the isle of man full of Gatso's, its the only thing that will slow there people down.

I am sure people think they are playing a playstation when they are driving around here.

You only get one life so take care of it.

The majority of accidents are happening in built up areas, this is a fact any police man will tell you that so an island speed limit is useless.

Bring over the Gatso's i know friends in the uk that say they work a treat.

I want to see the isle of man full of Gatso's, its the only thing that will slow there people down.

I am sure people think they are playing a playstation when they are driving around here.

You only get one life so take care of it.

The majority of accidents are happening in built up areas, this is a fact any police man will tell you that so an island speed limit is useless.

Bring over the Gatso's i know friends in the uk that say they work a treat.

Yes, I think its a great idea to have speed cameras outside of schools and in built up areas, Just not on unrestricted roads otherwise i imagine this will happen :

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2.htm

Nitro all i want to see is the speed camera's on the built up areas.

No need for out of town areas just where people think it is ok to do 40mph + in a 30 mph zone.

Archived