Speed Cameras

Theskeat

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: Said by the person who wanted to trigger it on a push bike! :rolleyes:

Someone said was triggered by being airborne, not through speed. Getting airborne on a bike is easy to do at well under the speed limit. Maybe you need to pay more attention to the context in which it was said?

<_< I can't see how it would trigger because of being airborne because a car could brake the speed limit without getting airborne, If it could get airbourne then it would be a very little amount compared to a bike etc.

I just thought you meant triggering the speed camera while breaking the speed limit and being airbourne.

:lol: Said by the person who wanted to trigger it on a push bike! :rolleyes:

Someone said was triggered by being airborne, not through speed. Getting airborne on a bike is easy to do at well under the speed limit. Maybe you need to pay more attention to the context in which it was said?

<_< I can't see how it would trigger because of being airborne because a car could brake the speed limit without getting airborne, If it could get airbourne then it would be a very little amount compared to a bike etc.

I just thought you meant triggering the speed camera while breaking the speed limit and being airbourne.

I think I've caused a bit of confusion :blush:

I was having a laugh when I said "Maybe it will be triggered by getting Airbourne"

See:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...ndpost&p=159013

Sorry.

No idea, I was just going on what was posted in the thread. Feel free to jump up and down on Ballaugh Bridge and report back to us with your findings.

In busy traffic if you could.

Gee Mr Ans, your endless wit, and talent of the putdown, knows no bounds does it?

And although tempting, i am sorry but the invitiation to fly to the Isle of Man to jump up and down on a bridge will have to be declined.

Thanks though!

Aside from speeding/not speeding one problem any revenue generating safety camera will face is the negative publicity from the UKs experience.

Initially the cameras were used to improve road safety but the current impression is that they are now just used to make some money with safety being less important.

So given the current feelings what could be done differently ? Once more you have to persuade the public that this is not simply a revenue exercise and it will be a visible safety measure.

They should have put it outside Ramsey Grammar School or Peel High School. Who would have argued with that ?

But they didn't. They put it somewhere stupid and look what happened.

Is there anyone here who didn't actually see that coming ?

Personally I'd like to know how much this charade has cost so far and how many extra man hours of policing it would so far have bought and how much in future they expect to spend.

Whats the cost estimate on an fully calibrated, accurate GATSO ? £50 K is what they cost in the UK. That is at least one policemans salary for a year.

And why is Phil Braidwood so keen on speed limit legislation now ? Surely he could have made a bigger difference when he was DHA minister and could have given the police any extra resources they needed to actually enforce the laws we have right now.

I read in the Indy that the object of discussion might have to be removed again (Page 5)?

It says the owner of the land wasn't consulted and wants it removed....

Just a quick point regarding enforcement.

If they want to put them somewhere important, why not outside the schools? Every morning I drive past Braddan Primary School which displays a 20mph sign during school start / finish times (40mph at other times).

I drive at 20mph when the sign is lit.

People who are in front of me pull away.

People who are behind, bunch up at my rear.

Vans park on the ~~SCHOOL - NO PARKING~~ painted instructions on the road.

I would deem schools and homezones to be of high importance when it comes to the DOT determining where they place cameras.

I would also think that the Police would have taken a pretty dim view of speeding outside schools but I'm obviously wrong as I can't recall ever seeing Police patrolling there.

Whats the cost estimate on an fully calibrated, accurate GATSO ? £50 K is what they cost in the UK. That is at least one policemans salary for a year.

But salaries wouldn't be the only costs. Police have to be trained and will be entitled to pension rights. Quite right too.

Maybe the comparison would make sense if you compared the costs of employing modern graduate officers with the costs of installing and running cameras - over, say, the expected life of a camera - or over the typical length of service and training costs of an officer.

Even then you'd have to find some objective way of quantifying the value and effectiveness of cameras compared with the real costs of employing officers. Though I don't believe that an objective comparison is possible.

Meanwhile - the sort of behaviour which results in people setting fire to stuff at night is exactly the same sort of nasty yobbishness and vandalism that we're all moaning about, in general. The Police and courts shouldn't have to be involved with dealing with this sort of country - boy closing - time terrorism. Though we all know that the courts are somewhat powerless to deal with this sort of late night yobbishness.

Certainly I hope that the people who did this will be treated as dangerous arsonists and potential terrorists. If they would start a fire over something as unimportant as a camera then what might they do given a more serious issue? Maybe there should be a reward for information leading to a conviction.

Just a quick point regarding enforcement.

If they want to put them somewhere important, why not outside the schools? Every morning I drive past Braddan Primary School which displays a 20mph sign during school start / finish times (40mph at other times).

I drive at 20mph when the sign is lit.

People who are in front of me pull away.

People who are behind, bunch up at my rear.

Vans park on the ~~SCHOOL - NO PARKING~~ painted instructions on the road.

I would deem schools and homezones to be of high importance when it comes to the DOT determining where they place cameras.

I would also think that the Police would have taken a pretty dim view of speeding outside schools but I'm obviously wrong as I can't recall ever seeing Police patrolling there.

Couldn't agree more with you on this one but some of the worst offenders are mothers in 4x4's taking their kids to school!

...and now it's invasion of the dick'eds who still think we haven't any speed limits over here

Archived