Traffic Lights For Quarterbridge?

modey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the catch with any sensible re-engineering of QB is that the 'racing line' has to be preserved - a crossing of two major traffic routes needs a better layout that the confusing painted roundabouts and the road junction little modernised since the war. A larger perrmanent roundabout would probably help with lights at peak times

a crossing of two major traffic routes needs a better layout that the confusing painted roundabouts and the road junction little modernised since the war. A larger perrmanent roundabout would probably help with lights at peak times

We'll you never know. They might scrap the pub and put in a shiny new permanent, extra large roundabout.

a crossing of two major traffic routes needs a better layout that the confusing painted roundabouts and the road junction little modernised since the war. A larger perrmanent roundabout would probably help with lights at peak times

We'll you never know. They might scrap the pub and put in a shiny new permanent, extra large roundabout.

Having two lanes coming from Braddan Bridge (well the end of Port-a-Chee) would be a start. As far as I could see there wouldn't need to be too much work as the footpath could just go over the wall into the meadow itself.

As with the speed limit, teach people how to use the roads (a roundabout in this case) and all will be well!

yes, that would be a start.

it's amazing how many times i go through there and peolpe still don't know how to use a roundabout :angry:

Is the Manx driver not being able to use roundabouts an urban myth? I can't remember the last time, if at all, I saw a Manx driver cock up QB. Granted, I probably only average 3 or 4 trips through it a week, and rarely in the daytime, but I storngly suspect it's more a bit of a legend that people just repeat.

Donald was fortunate in that he could avoid Quarterbridge at rush hour.

He had worked in the UK for many years and knew that it was not uncommon for people to spend the first two or three hours at the start - and end - of each working day travelling. And much of that static in their cars at various traffic jams.

Indeed, that was one of the reasons he had moved to the Isle of Man. How quaint it was for these people to complain about the traffic when they were held up for 10, maybe 20 minutes! The local radio stations even had "Drive Time" radio slots and traffic reports. Of course these were often very useful items, but he still had to smile when he heard the presenter ernestly breaking the news of a traffic light being broken or some fog on the mountain.

The Islanders had a way of taking what would be a minor problem and exaggerating it out of all proportion. There would be much talk and pontificating before they would sort this one out! Even the politicians were talking about it in Tynwald today. Yes, it was indeed a National Disaster. "How quaint," he thought, a phrase that he seemed to use a lot these days, but it really was so apt.

Donald imagined all the people in Peel tonight who would be sleeping restlessly in their nightmares of the following morning's pass through the Quarterbridge.

And How they would arrive in their office with a gasp and a tale of how "it was hell". If they were senior, the secretaries and administration assistants would listen intently and sympathise. Shaking their heads in understanding. If only they could arrange a meeting, a dinner party perhaps, with an MHK. Then their frustrations and thoughts could be explained to someone who could actually get something done about this horrendous mess.

Disturbing use of the third person there Donny. Did 'he' then go home and pull the wings off his fly collection whilst imagining the dirty things those naughty supermodels in his mum's magazines do??

Is the Manx driver not being able to use roundabouts an urban myth? I can't remember the last time, if at all, I saw a Manx driver cock up QB. Granted, I probably only average 3 or 4 trips through it a week, and rarely in the daytime, but I storngly suspect it's more a bit of a legend that people just repeat.

You will not have experienced the "QB Stand-Off" then, Ans!

Or the old fella that just ignores that I have right of way when he's been fed up of waiting for 2 minutes and just pulls out in front of me, nearly causing me to hit him side on.

I see awful driving there a lot, people driving up the wrong lane from Castletown and sneaking over when they get on the roundabout, pulling out when they shouldn't and not pulling out when they should.

Archived