England Flags

hboy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would it make a difference if two flags were displayed on a car, one Manx the other English??

Of course it does. Are you Manx or English - as they are different countries dan't you know! That's like asking - does it matter if I have an Arsenal and a Barcellona flag on my car?

:D Fair enough, but I was thinking this would show a Manx person showing support for England during the world cup and therefore would be less offensive to some (I am not talking about flying flags all year round)

As for the Arsenal/Barcelona thing - I see many cars which have more than one flag or footy badge on it for different teams, Celtic & Liverpool seems to be quite common.

Erm..so if I was to fly a German flag outside my house, would I get applauded or shot? :unsure:

I wouldn't take exception, its the Union Flag which hints at colonial aspirations. You know, the occupant thinks the IOM is only really a little bit of England and we need to be reminded. Whereas, a flag from another country would probably make me think , "Oh, someone from Germany is living there, that's nice, wonder how he ended up here?" Probably irrational, but I will fight to the death my right to be just that! (When it takes my fancy!)

:D Fair enough, but I was thinking this would show a Manx person showing support for England during the world cup and therefore would be less offensive to some (I am not talking about flying flags all year round)

As for the Arsenal/Barcelona thing - I see many cars which have more than one flag or footy badge on it for different teams, Celtic & Liverpool seems to be quite common.

Being a Manxie I have no objection to people flying flags of any colour - though if you do it on Tynwald day and it's not a Manx flag - make sure you have access to a car wash :D

So if people display stickers etc in their cars showing support for say, Liverpool, Manchester United, Everton, Manchester City, Blackburn Rovers, Chelsea, Arsenal etc etc are they deemed to be ok all year round? Seeing as they are all English teams do the patriotic Manx find them "offensive"? Similarly if people display allegiance to Rangers, Celtic, Glentoran, Home Farm, Wrexham etc etc (again), are these deemed acceptable?

The way I see it is if some person is English and wants to support their team then fine... if they want to have a stupid flag on their car then fine by a knob

I hate the manx people who convert to this prickish behaviour.....

Equally I dislike the fact people get narky when you don't support England - I'm not English so I'll cheer for whoever I want!

Couldn't really give a toss about football teams, support whatever team you like, it matters little to me. But fly a flag, just make sure you have the right one! The IOM probably has the most conscious awareness of its own identity of all the offshore islands (Jersey does not have its own national anthem, for example) and long may that continue!

it really quite sad that anyone gets annoyed by someone showing support for their

country of birth team and smacks of racism to me.

if i saw a car with a german, french, spanish etc flag on i'd think "good on 'em"

Here in Switzerland > 20% of the population are non-Swiss, it is very common to see Brazilian, Italian, Spanish etc. flags flying during any football event.

I have to admit i moan about people flying the england flag outside their houses or cars but when i go abroad i bring my Manx flag with me and hang it from balconys and feel so proud to be manx.

I have also been asked by hotel secuirity and local police to take down the flag cus they said it was the swastikand people found it offensive, i was even asked to leave the hotel for refusing to take it down. i did try to explain that it was my national flag but they didnt want to know..

Archived