England Flags

hboy

it really quite sad that anyone gets annoyed by someone showing support for their

country of birth team and smacks of racism to me.

if i saw a car with a german, french, spanish etc flag on i'd think "good on 'em"

That's an abuse of the word 'racism'. With that logic you'd ban the World Cup and the Olympics because it encourages all of the races to compete against each other - as it would be 'racist'.

If the Scots and Welsh were in it there'd be plenty more banter. It's a bit of fun.

What annoys me the most is all these people who support national teams like Arsenal and Man Utd and have never seen them play except on telly (something like 90% of the world's Man Utd fans apparently). I support Preston cos I lived there for a while - but have been to see them play over 20 times this year.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have also been asked by hotel secuirity and local police to take down the flag cus they said it was the swastikand people found it offensive, i was even asked to leave the hotel for refusing to take it down. i did try to explain that it was my national flag but they didnt want to know..

That amounts to 'Flag desecration'. You should get the IOM government to write to that hotel and the local police to complain.

Personally, I've been a Luton Town supporter for nearly 50 years - although it is quite a long time since I last managed to make the pilgrimage to Kenilworth Road to watch them play.

Therefore, as the only one of their players who is likely to get a game in the World Cup is Carlos Edwards - I shall be cheering on Trinidad & Tobago.

post-1037-1148030917_thumb.jpg

But I'm not sure whether I'll be flying the flag - especially when they play England, because the yobs who support that woebegone country are likely to damage the car.

That's an abuse of the word 'racism'. With that logic you'd ban the World Cup and the Olympics because it encourages all of the races to compete against each other - as it would be 'racist'.

If the Scots and Welsh were in it there'd be plenty more banter. It's a bit of fun.

What annoys me the most is all these people who support national teams like Arsenal and Man Utd and have never seen them play except on telly (something like 90% of the world's Man Utd fans apparently). I support Preston cos I lived there for a while - but have been to see them play over 20 times this year.

wah ? :blink:

Does anyone know when the iom became part of England then?

Every shop in town at the moment is full of England stuff, even Thorntons are at it with little candy flags. Its impossible to buy clothes that dont have England emblazoned all over them. Even my 'stopover' English husband is sick to the back teeth of it now.

How anyone can get pissed off about someone flying the English flag in the run-up to, and during, the World Cup is beyond me. If the IOM had a team in the competition, I'd support it over any other team, but it doesn't, so I support England. If England didn't have a team in, I'd support any of the home nations against the rest of the world (admittedly with a little less fervour)

Every shop in town at the moment is full of England stuff, even Thorntons are at it with little candy flags. Its impossible to buy clothes that dont have England emblazoned all over them. Even my 'stopover' English husband is sick to the back teeth of it now.

You married and Englishman!! You heathen you should be burnt at the fucking stake!!

Does anyone know when the iom became part of England then?

It hasn't. The world cup is on. The IOM is 30 odd miles away from England. You shop in English shops. Get a grip of yourself!

Just a thought..... what would happen if you had pubs full of people in England chanting "USA! USA! USA!" and flying stars and stripes from their cars? I'm sure you'd find that wouldn't go down too well. Do you think that if England hadn't qualified (as in 94), that this would be classed as acceptable behaviour, and that you'd have loads of English people supporting the USA?

I have no issue with English people supporting England over here, as long as they respect the fact that this is not England. I myself will be hoping England do well, but I do object when Manx people get all passionate and/or aggressive about supporting England.

How anyone can get pissed off about someone flying the English flag in the run-up to, and during, the World Cup is beyond me. If the IOM had a team in the competition, I'd support it over any other team, but it doesn't, so I support England. If England didn't have a team in, I'd support any of the home nations against the rest of the world (admittedly with a little less fervour)

Spot on tugger!

its when manx based scots support anyone other than england that does my head in

but I do object when Manx people get all passionate and/or aggressive about supporting England.

Aggression is always objectionable, but that would be the case for supporters of any team. However, who exactly has the right to object to Manx people being passionate in supporting any team they damn well like?

It really doesn't bother me who has what flag on their car or displayed in the house window.

I support Liverpool btw :)

Personally, I've been a Luton Town supporter for nearly 50 years

As a kid watching the football results on TV, I thought for years that 'Luton' was actually called 'Luton Nil'.

Hmmmph! And I thought Preston N E was Preston Non-Entities!

Spot on tugger!

its when manx based scots support anyone other than england that does my head in

The fact that England believe they are better than anyone else does my head in.

I will be supporting Brazil, as i believe they are the best team in the world, they are class to watch.

And being Scottish i will be supporting any teaming playing against England.

Archived