England Flags

hboy

Every shop in town at the moment is full of England stuff, even Thorntons are at it with little candy flags. Its impossible to buy clothes that dont have England emblazoned all over them. Even my 'stopover' English husband is sick to the back teeth of it now.

You married and Englishman!! You heathen you should be burnt at the fucking stake!!

Does anyone know when the iom became part of England then?

It hasn't. The world cup is on. The IOM is 30 odd miles away from England. You shop in English shops. Get a grip of yourself!

I was once married to a manxman. Will say no more.

And since when has Shoprite and other local shops been English?!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What annoys me the most is all these people who support national teams like Arsenal and Man Utd and have never seen them play except on telly (something like 90% of the world's Man Utd fans apparently)

I've supported Man Utd since the 60's, about 40 years now, and have seem them play once. Why does that annoy you?

What annoys me the most is all these people who support national teams like Arsenal and Man Utd and have never seen them play except on telly (something like 90% of the world's Man Utd fans apparently)

I've supported Man Utd since the 60's, about 40 years now, and have seem them play once. Why does that annoy you?

Nothing wrong with that. I'm talking about all of these fair weather fans who pick a team like Arsenal or whoever for 'whatever' reason (usually because they are at the top of the league), have no connection, have never been to, or have any intention of going to a match.

There is an important distinction between being a fan and a supporter. To support a team you have to see them play and demonstrate your support (even if it is only once), otherwise you're just a fan. And if you just buy their shirt - you're just a customer.

but I do object when Manx people get all passionate and/or aggressive about supporting England.

Aggression is always objectionable, but that would be the case for supporters of any team. However, who exactly has the right to object to Manx people being passionate in supporting any team they damn well like?

er........I don't know where you think this is but last time I checked I was free to object to whatever I wanted to? There's something that we are presently engaging in now that's called freedom of speech, and that is why I have every right to say I object to something. You may disagree with me, and it is your own right to do just that, but don't go making stupid statements like that.

er........I don't know where you think this is but last time I checked I was free to object to whatever I wanted to? There's something that we are presently engaging in now that's called freedom of speech, and that is why I have every right to say I object to something. You may disagree with me, and it is your own right to do just that, but don't go making stupid statements like that.

Mmmm, nice double standard considering your post was banging on about objecting to others exercising their own free choice and right to express themselves by passionately supporting whoever they like.

Also, before you accuse others of being stupid and start waving your hands about invoking "free speech", you'd do well to first make sure you're not guilty of the same kind of 'stupidity'. Of course you have the right to disagree with others' choices, and even the right to puff up your feathers and pompously 'object' to their choices from your pulpit, just as I have the right, under the same doctine of freedom of expression to question whether or not it's right to do so.

Mmmm, nice double standard considering your post was banging on about objecting to others exercising their own free choice and right to express themselves by passionately supporting whoever they like.

Also, before you accuse others of being stupid and start waving your hands about invoking "free speech", you'd do well to first make sure you're not guilty of the same kind of 'stupidity'. Of course you have the right to disagree with others' choices, and even the right to puff up your feathers and pompously 'object' to their choices from your pulpit, just as I have the right, under the same doctine of freedom of expression to question whether or not it's right to do so.

I don't think there were any double standards at all. I objected to WHAT people do, but I didn't object to their right to do it! You on the other hand stated that people don't have the right to object to what I was objecting too.....

At the end of the day football is a game.

A game is something you play when there is nothing else to do, not a way of life.

Get real folks, what the hell does it matter what is flown from a car window.

I want to see how many are still flown after the English team are knocked out in the first round.

Interesting question for people living over here: Other than the Isle Of Man which of the adjacent nations which do you feel closer to: England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland?

My feeling is that the proud generations born Manx will contrast their Celtic-ness against the other Celtic nations and so not feel particularly close to the Wesh, Scotish or Irish: they aren't a part of any of these nations, they are Manx, the viking influence etc makes them distinct/unique.

For the rest, the simple fact is the majority of the Island's population has stronger cultural associations with England than else where.

I've always supported all the UK teams when they've played abroad. I'll never forget supporting with growing embassment Scotland getting an absolute whipping in a very rowdy bar in South Africa. Friends couldn't understand why I was putting my self up to growing ridicule, but it seemed natural to me.

I'd rather if people were less nationalistic and able to support a spectrum of teams rather than the clanish violent nationalism too often shown on the football terrace.

Heck if the IOM got into the World Cup the whole Island would justifiably go beserk, similar to when Everton and Liverpool got to the FA cup final! But it won't happen so we have to choose a team to support. Me, England, Brazil, Japan. Strange mix, but there you go!

If people want to support just England fine by me, but don't be too in my face about it; its 11 people kicking a ball.

Archived