Mlc Speaks Out Against Speed Limit

WilDDog

Some excellent points made by that speech Tatlock but I do doubt that many MHKs actually bother with looking at the forums.

1,832 members with nearly 80,000 on the island is only a small percentage really and there are a number of members who aren't actually on the island.

But i digress, there are some big political issues abound at the moment and it is true to say that the public are more interested in politics nowadays compared to 20 years ago.

But the fact of the matter is more gets done these days than 20 years ago and the possible existence of corruption (claimed by forum members every so often) was a lot more likely 20 years ago than it is today, especially with the media keeping such a close eye on politics.

My main issue is that any decisions that get made by the 'movers and shakers' in Tynwald are instantly castigated by a lot of forum members and the local media - especially with the 'would you vote for' polls which show that many forum members think the 'negative' MHKs are great as they constantly barrack and question the decisions made by Ministers etc.. when in fact they do more harm than good by voting against everything and holding everything up.

The simple fact of the matter is that if they all worked together then a lot of things would improve but people like Cannan, Cannell, Houghton, Delaney continually vote against the majorityin any vote whether they agree or not and it tends to hold up big decisions and projects.

It just seems to me that they believe its easier to criticise others than do anything constructive themselves - this of course is especially prevalent given the upcoming elections..!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how many people read this forum who aren't registered and have no inclination to post.?

There are a number of Politicians read this forum and some I am aware of do post also. Good on them for that, although it would be a brave/foolhardy person to start a full scale political debate here using his/her own name against the masses who hide behind anonymity.

Regarding the voting inclinations of the 'negative' politicians. Perhaps it is time there was a party system introduced into Manx Politics. But a system that allows the Chief Minister to weild so much power by choosing his ministers and in effect providing the whip for voting, has got to be wrong, especially when you consider that the electorate have no say as to who will be Chief Minister.

And back on thread a little . . . . and then we have the MLCs.

There needs to be a shake up in the whole damn system. Maybe we'll leave it for the next 5 years, or even the next.

My main issue is that any decisions that get made by the 'movers and shakers' in Tynwald are instantly castigated by a lot of forum members.

I think that's exactly it. There seems to be an inbuilt anti-MHK bias among many posters, which would pretty much keep elected politicians from posting under their own names (in which case, they would probably end up getting heckled). Compare this to the equivalent site for Guernsey - www.whyguernsey.com - which is by no means a superior site overall, but does tend to advance political debates more constructively. Consequently, it has a designated member group "Politicians", and at least two Ministers openly post on there, answering issues raised with them, expounding their thinking on the issues of the day and explaining their actions when requested.

I think a 'Politicians' type section would work on this forum.

But it would be essential that posters would have to use their real names.

Nipper - to see how it could work, have a look at this thread:

http://www.whyguernsey.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2779

A forum member questioned whether Members of Parliament misuse the facilities provided for them, and three very senior Ministers (Lyndon Trott, Peter Roffey and Jonathan Le Tocq) participated in the discussion and had a bit of banter with each other and the members.

/Off topic

Thanks for that link Politician, you've just probably put me in touch with a former friend who I've not spoken to since leaving Guernsey.

I'll be mucho happy if I get back in touch with him.

:)

/on topic...

No No No That's crap!

(Not you Mission - very happy for you).

The forums have gone down hill in the last few years due to appearence of politicians, media types, and people with their own political agenda.

Meanwhile, the eccentrics, the gimmick accounts, the nutters, and those wanting a laugh have been squeezed out. The literal minded, the motivated and the practical have all the rest of the local media to play with, why can't they leave here to those who are not afraid of the tangent, the philosophical and the abstract.

The forums have gone down hill in the last few years due to appearence of politicians, media types, and people with their own political agenda. Meanwhile, the eccentrics, the gimmick accounts, the nutters, and those wanting a laugh have been squeezed out.

Shouldn't there be room for both?

Some topics clearly merit serious discussion, and it would be useful to get open input from people with the power to make decisions.

Others are clearly for fun, and people lacking a sense of humour should stay well away from them.

I wasn't talking about "fun" vs "seriousness".

I just want more than nit-picking, nut-n-bolts, and who's got the biggest dick. I want a resurgance in the creative side, frankly at the moment it would be pointless attempting anything at the moment and an influx of grim politicos wouldn't bring that any closer.

Within a few months they'd be setting us targets for posts per day; telling us we need to promote ourselves more; revising the T&C's; and organising sub-committees to discuss whether we need seperate forum sections for Local and International Sport. People in employment have to deal with that toss everyday, as far as possible this place should be an escape.

Within a few months they'd be setting us targets for posts per day; telling us we need to promote ourselves more; revising the T&C's; and organising sub-committees to discuss whether we need seperate forum sections for Local and International Sport. People in employment have to deal with that toss everyday, as far as possible this place should be an escape.

Never a truer word spoken.

"Meanwhile, the eccentrics, the gimmick accounts, the nutters, and those wanting a laugh have been squeezed out. The literal minded, the motivated and the practical have all the rest of the local media to play with, why can't they leave here to those who are not afraid of the tangent, the philosophical and the abstract."

...but I'm still here too....:-)

Archived