Hotel May Reopen

THRILLER

I see in the news that rushen abbey hotel may be reopening, does anyone remember being in the pub and does anyone remember the piano that use to play all by itself. even though i was only about 6 years old i loved going in there. A friend of mine use to live there and use to see him every sunday, i havnt a clue who he is anymore or where he is now but if you are out there then let us know LOL.

If it reopens as a pub then i will be in there straight away.

surely you can't be expecting the pianola to be still there and in working order...if it had any value it'll be long gone....

...just like the machine that used to be in the waiting room at Douglas Railway Station in the early 60's. Does anyone remember that? It was like a big 'music box' but instead of a cylinder with pins on it had some large metal 2ft diameter disks with pins on that which were held in place and played vertically..can't remember what it was called... but what happended to it???

remember the old maps in town that you could press a button and the place you were looking for use to light up and flash. eh

Yes I do, one at the bottom of Broadway if I remember rightly.

It would be good if Rushen Abbey could be given a boost as an all round venue, the dig is all very well, but lacks some kind of catering facility, so reviving the pub would be a clever move. Very pretty part of the Island round that way, so any enhancement of the facilities would go down well.

It'll never be the same as when they sold strawberries and cream and had a band playing in the gardens though!

It'll never be the same as when they sold strawberries and cream and had a band playing in the gardens though!

Gladys I have a vague recollection, I must've been very very little though.

..and wasn't there one of those map things at the Bottleneck car park ...

I think you are right MCB, but it wasn't a car park then, what was it? (Most of the lights didn't work, which made it fun for the locals, but pretty useless for visitors!!)

Archived