English Flags

LoneWolf

I had always understood the expression "pikey" to be an abusive reference to Irish Tinkers / Travellers. A quick check tonight reveals it is also [now] being used as an abusive reference to an underclass or perhaps as an alternative to "Chav". Reference

The idea of native populations as underclass is, of course, not new to the English mindset and it is just one of many reasons that the English "Middle Class" are despised world wide.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without wanting to prolong the agony, PE, I doubt that you have had any experience of pikeys. Even the most boorish and yobbish locals come nowhere on the real pikey scale! Call locals small minded or even inbred, but NEVER pikey!

Exactly you can call someone a yob etc but not a pikey!, Its not like they have moved next day without paying any type of tax and don't pay any rent, trashing the place in the process and then stealing stuff from you etc.

StuartT, Did all those different races in your gene pool fry your brain?

You claim that lots of places are worse than here .If you had any sense you would know it's not places that are bigots it is people.If you ever got yourself out of your mirror and opened your eyes to anything else,other than yourself obbsessed love of yourself maybe you could see that other people have valid opinions.

You are nothing but a small minded self obssesed bigot.

Without wanting to prolong the agony, PE, I doubt that you have had any experience of pikeys. Even the most boorish and yobbish locals come nowhere on the real pikey scale! Call locals small minded or even inbred, but NEVER pikey!

Exactly you can call someone a yob etc but not a pikey!, Its not like they have moved next day without paying any type of tax and don't pay any rent, trashing the place in the process and then stealing stuff from you etc.

Hint of sarcasm?

Hint of sarcasm?

TBH i wasn't sure if your "Call locals small minded or even inbred, but NEVER pikey!" was actually sarcastic or not but still a pikey is on a totally different scale to a yob, The IOM is nothing like the UK in that respect (Thanks god!), Unless the island meaning of a pikey is different to ones in the UK!

Unless i've totally missed the point!

The idea of native populations as underclass is, of course, not new to the English mindset and it is just one of many reasons that the English "Middle Class" are despised world wide.

I don't quite understand the implicit singling out of the English for what went on in the name of Empire.

For a start, the British Empire was exactly that, with Scots and the Irish enthusiastic and occassionally brutal participants (it should be remembered that a County Tipperary man, Michael O'Dwyer was Lieutenant Governor of the Punjab at the time of the Amritsar Massacre, and was assassinated for his cruel, dictatorial nature).

Secondly, the French, Germans, Portuguese, Spanish, and King Leopold of Belgium all had considerable empires and overseas territories, the actions of some (especially the Belgians in the Congo) making those of the British Empire pale in comparison. Such an attitude that approved of the apropriation of both land and people was by no means the sole preserve of, or more prevalant amongst the English (or indeed Europeans in general).

This is not an excuse for empire, but the characterisation of the English middle classes in this fashion threatens to verge on the obscene when considering, say, the considerable numbers who contributed to and dedicated themselves to the anti-slavery campaign in the 18th and early 19th centuries that ultimately let to the banning of both slavery throughout the empire and the slave trade.

Not quite hijacking the GPO or anything like that, but just doing my bit to restore something that belonged on the Island, went away for a long time, and is now returned home (Part of the criteria for it to be returned home was that it was restored).

Incase anyone gets the wrong end of the stick, I do not have a problem with English People, or with people celebrating their heritage (as mixed Manx + Scots stock with a bit of Irish, Welsh, Cornish and even...whisper, whisper, a bit of English) but what I do have a problem with is people inferring that the Isle of Man is English, or trying to turn it into a 'little' England. If those who celebrate their English Heritage so strongly (as I celebrate my Scots Heritage) took the time to do their bit to celebrate and protect their Manx Heritage (as my Scottish Father brought me up to do), then there wouldn't be a problem.

Even incomers with no Manx roots whatsever are not a threat to the Island, as long as they do not try and turn it into what they left behind, and do their bit for the Island + its heritage.

So in doing your bit for the Island you are helping restore a mining wheel.

How does this help celebrate Manxness? Are you celebrating the miners that were killed in the mining operations, perhaps you are endorsing the use of Manx child labour, terrible pay and even worse working conditions by making that old wheel all nice and shiny?

Wow. This is fucking unbelieveable, people are actually spitting the dummy over a few flags . :lol:

Have you noticed that flags of people who aren't even in the world cup popping up since people started putting their England flags up? Like some sort of retaliation. Thats fine by me as any flag goes as far as I am concerned, but I do find it amusing the way people are reacting.

Its all about the football for Christs sake!

I don't quite understand the implicit singling out of the English for what went on in the name of Empire.

Not really thinking about Empire Vinnie but about a mindset based on an idea of class and hierarchy.

Its an attitude which really upsets folk all around the world.

Not really thinking about Empire Vinnie but about a mindset based on an idea of class and hierarchy.

Its an attitude which really upsets folk all around the world.

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post, LoneWolf, but the "native populations as an underclass" seemed an allusion to empire. Again though, the idea of class and hierarchy is nothing unique or especially pronounced in England though. Even in that bastion of social mobility, the U.S., there is a clear class distinction between the rest of the population and the old stately families and blue bloods of Boston and the North East in general, as there is some quite phenomenal snobbery towards midwesterners. Class and hierarchy are prominant forces in a vast number of societies around the world, so it seems a bit harsh to single out the entirity of the English middle classes.

I Was just carrying this ladies shopping to her car and spotted a sail boat on the quay with a jolly roger hoisted. I ran back to the shop, grabbed Al's camera and went back to get a snap. Bloody wind had dropped but I got a couple of shots. Then the dude on the boat lowed it to get it fluttering a bit more but the batteries died!

post-72-1150206939_thumb.jpg post-72-1150207008_thumb.jpg

So, there's kinda a Jolly Roger. It even had a parrot tied to the rope just above it too.

Done plenty more than that as well. The point is it's one example of many things. You're missing the point, its about what people do for the Island that counts.

well done, what do you want? a blue peter badge?

Archived