English Flags

LoneWolf

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One can only presume that the Isle of Man asked to join the English Football League, unless their rampant colonisation extended to making us join. I can't find when we joined, but certainly, we were members as far back as 1922, so I guess the people who knew why they chose england are too dead to ask.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that although geographically possibly closer to Scotland, the major passenger routes have always premondominatly been to England. The historical links of the Isle of Man to England start in the 13th Century.

You might not like the links, but they are fact. The island's daily papers aren't the aren't the Herald, or the Scotsman, or the Irish Times, they are the English Papers.

Why now, today, is the choice made to align ourselves more to England than to the other Celtic nations?

Why now, today, is the choice made to align ourselves more to England than to the other Celtic nations?

Because you're overexposed to so much English media with little other variance that you don't think otherwise.

I agree. I spent years simply gorging myself on "English" media, subconsciously absorbing the norms and values of that cultural model until I went so far that I even lost sight of that fact that cultural models are absolute, and exist independently of the people they act upon and through!

Anyway, long story short, I finally realised that, after all these years, making the conscious decision to reject all prior influences and declare myself, amongst other things, partly a modern day viking is far more credible than my previous attitude.

Oooh! The Sagas! I feel every bit as special as I've always dreamed of feeling.

Because you're overexposed to so much English media with little other variance that you don't think otherwise.

So what you are basically saying is that the Manx public are like sheep, being fed what they are given, media wise, and its brainwashed their minds into believing they are more English than scottish/irish?

It’s entirely possibly to read Celtic papers, or watch Celtic channels, which are available to many via sky.

Does the media lead the populace, or the populace lead the media. I always thought that the media catered for what its customers wanted, lining their pockets along the way. You don't make much dosh by providing services/media that people do not want, as they wouldn't pay for it.

The freedom to choose your culture/media is ones own, too many copies of the sun in pickwicks is hardly likely to change a national psyche.

And VinnieK, well done for freeing yourself from the tyranny, and making your choice to align yourself with the Viking culture, well played that man.

Thanks. I toyed with the idea of being a 9th century Byzantine partriarch, or maybe even Charlemagne for a while - it's not that great a departure in terms of how arbitrary any such decision would be, and the majesty was attractive. Maybe I'll be Charlemagne next week.

I don't really have any problem with flying of the St. George on the Isle of Man. Most islanders, I assume, consider themselves British and England are the only team in Britain playing. If some sort of patriotic support is to be given then why not fly the flag. A Union Jack may be more appropriate. I don't really see how the St. George has imperial connotations, if anything would it not be the Union Jack?

Maybe if next time around Scotland or Ireland are in the World Cup it might be interesting to look at who supports which country but I could understand why more England flags would be flying rather than Scottish or Irish.

I would have to agree in part with the values attached to the St. George flag. It is a modern trend for the English flag to be flown everywhere. I don't think this is a problem. Maybe the flag has got some distasteful values attached to it but they are more specific I think than those of the Union Jack and other British national flags i.e. those to do with English football fan hooliganism. The St. George only tends to be flown that much when football matches are on. As a Manxman myself I can't say the St. George inspires any sort of nationalist feeling whereas to some extent the Union Jack does.

Though I think flag-flying is overdone it is the people who attach St.George flags to their car windows that wind-me-up. Maybe it is just a personal bugbear and possibly my feelings about it are not just about aesthetics but how tacky they look!! How chavvish. For different reasons entirely I could whinge on about the ridiculous and almost laughable flag-flying on the Isle of Man. The 'Three Legs of Mann' are everywhere, all year and all sorts of different media.

This thread got pathetic, the reason there's loads of English flags flying is a sign of the number of England fans hoping it'll be the end of 40 years of hope, football is the worlds #1 sport and the England fans are the most enthusiastic followers in the world

On a side note, Scots & Welsh don't call themselves British (Irish seem to though), but I'm English and sick of having to hide the fact, there's nowt wrong in wanting to show National pride when your National team is representing you

The 'Three Legs of Mann' are everywhere, all year and all sorts of different media.

Including the packaging of bread - baking is our Trafalgar. I've yet to pass the bread aisle in Shoprite without feeling the compulsion to salute and wipe a patriotic tear from my eye.

Archived