Sitting Members - One At A Time (18) John Shimmin

Lonan3

Would you vote for  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A very sure-footed politician who also has an excellent sense of timing. eg getting out of the DoT before the second consultation on a speed limit (that he'd promised) was due, and into the Home Office after all the decisions had been made about building the prison.

He is either an unusually competent politician, or one who's extremely adept at presentation.

The decision - as always - is yours. If you were able to cast a vote in his constituency, would you cast it for him?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first time in 18 threads this is actually someone I've met so I feel I can cast a proper vote.

Voted Yes.

I tend to make very quick assesments of people when I meet them and I found him to be likeable, smart and trustworthy. He's also quite forward thinking and approached us a little while ago about the possibility of conducting a live online debate of sorts through the Live Chat feature. Recent events with this forum put it to the bottom of our priorities but it's something we're definitely keen on.

However, my complete lack of political knowledge means I don't even know what constituency he represents. Would it be a good idea to include that in the original post for idiots like me?

Ans - Douglas West

Seems to have his head screwed on, and not been in too long to be tired and spent so to speak. Already had two high profile Minister posts.

For my money, this is our next CM.

Well think about it - who else would you have?

John seems to be well liked by most people. He listens and makes a reasoned judgement from the facts and takes usually the view of the quiet majority.

He is certainly personable and easy to talk to. I have seen him at all sorts of events over the years not just at election time.

He will retain his seat in Douglas West as he has long standing family . connections in the constituency.

It is likely he will be the next CM.

I found out I was in Douglas East last time I revealed my ignorance on these matters. It doesn't help never having had a single election leaflet or visitor in the four years I've been in the area.

Asking where the boundaries is an aside really.

I voted yes. From what I have seen, he is a competent and credible politican. Also, a person who you would be proud of if he were to represent the Island, off-Island. He is Manx, has a Manx accent, is articulate and intelligent. Sadly, those attributes are not seen very often together in our current politicians.

His family were innovative in the tourist industry in the late 60's/early 70's in recognising that the boarding house-type market was waning by building self-catering holiday flats (one of only two at the time, I recall). That kind of accommodation flourished, whilst the boarding houses fell into disrepair and disrepute. So, I would say that John has been at the cutting edge of what makes the IOM tick all his life and wish he was a candidate in my constituency!

Maybe some should read the front page of todays Manx Paper before they trust him again

So he has stood up and took responsibility for something which, let's face it, I bet he knew little, if anything about.

Sounds like he has some balls and integrity if you ask me.

FCMR / Theskeat or whatever you want to be called, you are a sad muppet, STFU, give us all a break, and keep worrying about your case of interest. You know, the one involving the (allegedly) crooked builder and a housewife.

I would generally agree with much of the positive comments made here.

I had to admire Mr Shimmin's stance on a National Speed Limit when he was Minister for Transport.

Retaining the manner of a school teacher, he stood by his guns, and it seemed when he was given the post of Minister then this particular goal of his would be achieved.

It was eventually accepted that there was a major public opinion against such a speed limit. Mr Shimmin then swapped roles with Phil Braidwood in Home Affairs and so we are in the middle of Mr Braidwood's efforts on the matter.

So, back on topic.

I looked down my list of negative tick boxes drawn up for me by Declan. There was only one.

John Shimmin's background is very freemasonic.

I am sorry, but as stated elsewhere, I cannot and will not vote for anybody who is so involved with a secret society/society with secrets, and put them in a position to govern my life and the lives of my family.

Archived