Killing Of Animals For Art?

Stavros

I think it's out of order.  I think only disturbed people would gain pleasure from this also.

Eating dead animals could technically be put to an end in this day & age but the so could sexual intercourse.  But we carry on doing these things because it's what nature designed and it's good. Killing something because the outcome is amusing as a piece of art is just the same as whacking a rare animal so you can stick its stuffed head above your mantlepiece, and it's xxxx poor in my opinion.

I hope this person gets eaten by a lion, just because the lion feels like it.

Not too likely in Sweden admittedly but it'd teach the bugger a lesson.

They're bizarre images , that's for sure, and none of them would ever find their way into my house, not my cup of tea at all.

but it does provide some food for thought.

Yes mother nature designed us to be able to eat meat, but she also enabled us to live quite happily without it, if we wish to.

I mean, we don't have to kill any animals to eat. We could survive well enough on vegetables etc.

The only reason we eat meat is because we like to eat it.

It tastes and smells good.

We enjoy eating the flesh of dead animals because it gives us pleasure to do so, not because we have to.

Neither do we have to strip the skin from the corpses of these animals to make handbags, belts, shoes, clothes, etc. But we do. Just because it gives us pleasure to wear the stuff.

Years ago it might have been excusable to use animal products in this way because there was no alternative, but there are plenty of alternatives now.

I'm not saying the artist is justified in using animals this way, but on the other hand, if we are prepared to berate her like this, how can we justify our own needless lust for animal flesh and hides?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with Jay.

I tucked into some nice lamb chops tonight. Very nice they were too! But did I think of the poor ikkle lamb, no not really. But put a picture of a cute dead lamb infront of me an I might have thought different.

I think when you see association like that it stirs up emotions inherent with our western culture of 'out of sight out of mind'.

When I was travelling in the Himalayas and we were right out in the sticks, we went to the local village to get some chicken, but they only sold live ones, for freshness sake. It was a whole different matter sitting round our pot of vegetables with the main course staring straight back at us. However our nepalese freinds though we were barmy! Thats because different countries have different values. I've also spent a lot of time living and travelling in the middle east and by their religion the meat they kill must be bled to death, not a nice way to go! This happens in muslim halal butchers in the UK too.

WAIT: before Rog gets on the 'typical bloody arab' thing its the Jewsish way as well:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2977086.stm

We don't see the process here, so are blind to the cute little things that I'm sure many of the forum members were quite happily throwing on the bbq a few weeks ago.

I don't codone what she has done and as an artist myself, don't quite get it. But before you all get high and mighty and jump on the petition bandwagon, has anyone actually researched how these animals met their death. Are they off cuts from put down animals, roadkill or such like? There might be a reasonable reason for their death.

Don't jump on me over this, I'm trying to see both sides here. I just think efforts to prevent animal suffering should be made on a wider scale and we should look at some of our own factory farming which we quite happily buy prepacked in shoprite.

Salad anyone? :)

Archived