Hello, Bear!

Amadeus

Look who just turned up in Germany for the first time in 170 years:

post-1086-1148380651_thumb.jpg

A proper wild bear :) And of all the places, he decided to visit my hometown in the bavarian alps (after crossing the same in search of a mate).

I think it's ace, and they should just let it roam and maybe give out a warning, but our great politicians are loading the gun already clickey :(

Mind you, he isn't the politest of fellas - that's how it looks when he fancied a bit of KFC the other night:

post-1086-1148380673_thumb.jpgpost-1086-1148380702_thumb.jpg

I hope they keep him alive, though...

Woohoo that's ace.

I can see people being a bit peeved if the bear causes damage, but still, they should be thankful it's there.

I blame global warming myself :P

• 1 month later...

I heard about the re-introduction of bears to Austria, such a shame that one crossed the border and is now dead. The brown bear is native to Bavaria though so in a way it was bound to cross the border at some time or another.

Why do you think it was causing such a problem Amadeus? I know Austria is heavily forested what about the German side of the border, are there more farms?

Apparently, it got too close to humans all the time, i.e. wasn't scared of them anymore, and they tried to catch it alive, but either the bear was too smart or the hunters too stupid - either way, it didn't work.

In the end, they just shot it - shame :(

I heard about the re-introduction of bears to Austria, such a shame that one crossed the border and is now dead. The brown bear is native to Bavaria though so in a way it was bound to cross the border at some time or another.

Why do you think it was causing such a problem Amadeus? I know Austria is heavily forested what about the German side of the border, are there more farms?

That's the trouble with the EU - no proper borders any more! I bet it didn't even have to show a passport or anything.

A proper wild bear :) And of all the places, he decided to visit my hometown in the bavarian alps (after crossing the same in search of a mate).

I'd heard German women were a bit hirsute... ;) but did they have to get that jealous and shoot him?

Monday 26th June 2006: Ananova.

An entrepreneur is to sue a hunter for shooting Bruno the Bear one day after he printed hundreds of Bruno T-shirts with the slogan: 'You'll never catch me'.

German businessman Peter Nesselthaler, 35, says he plans to sue the hunter who shot Bruno the bear for damages.

Hunters had been given permission to shoot the bear six weeks ago after he started killing sheep in the border area between Bavaria, Germany, and Tyrol, Austria.

But Bruno seemed to have a charmed life as he remained on the run. As well as hunters, hundreds of tourists had flocked to the area hoping for a sighting of the bear.

Nesselthaler, from Munich, said: "I can't believe they really did it, he had not harmed anyone. I am going to demand damages for all the merchandise I had printed for the bear tourists that I will not be able to sell now."

In neighbouring Austria Manfred Furtner, head of the Austrian Hoteliers Association, said: "It's a disaster that he is gone.

"He was the best free advertising we have had for years, neither the locals nor visitors were afraid of him."

Archived