Dominic Delaney To Retire From Tynwald

nipper

DD has always been enthusiastic, alert and hardworking. He has been continually returned to Manx Politics for the last 30 years, even after Tynwald itself effectively removed him from the Legislative Council in 1995 he was quickly re-elected in the subsequent bye-election. Few politicians have had as much continued support from the people as Mr Delaney. (For example, even the current President of Tynwald was ousted by the electorate in 1986).

Dominic Delaney said on Manx Radio this morning that he no longer has the energy to do the job entrusted to him by the electorate.

On that basis then, there are quite a few of the rest of them should consider standing down! Everytime I have been in to Tynwald there are usually a few who seem to be asleep and seemingly thinking of their next big lunch, only to awake to throw their arm up if a vote has been called for. Perhaps though, the fact that such indolence exists in Tynwald is the fault of the electorate for putting them there in the first place.

As such an active member of Tynwald, Dominic Delaney will be greatly missed, but not by one or two of the existing politicians I would say! He was not one to succumb to the trappings of the 'Best Club In The World'.

I haven't always agreed with his views, but I have usually admired his energy and his determination to sniff out the bad smells that can be found in government. I think it's rather sad that, at the age of 63, he feels it's time to retire as he appears to have more energy than many younger members of Tynwald.

I suppose that, when you've spent 20 years banging your head (wigged or otherwise) against a brick wall, it feels nice when you finally stop.

He is the last of his breed I think. Where are the challenging politicians? The ones that really made a difference, another Clifford Irving, and others who were recognised internationally for their statemanship?

Do we have a statesman MHK? I can only think of one.

Currently, it just seems as though the gloves are off so they start slapping each other (and I mean slapping in a soppy way, not an intelligent exchange)!!

Which of the current chaps would you be happy representing us abroad?

I was privileged to hear Dominic at few weeks ago at the Ramsey Positive Action Group meeting where he recollected 30 years in Manx politics. He gave an inspiring energetic performance and was on top form.

Dominic has never forgotten his roots - elected by the people, he represented them. Never afraid of controversy or saying his piece. Afraid of no one, forth right, pugnacious in fighting his corner. Different from Clifford Irving in style but certainly similar in the affection which people hold for him.

Have a happy retirement Dominic and catch up on the time which you have missed by looking after the interests of others with time for yourself.

Bad news that. I agree with

DD has always been enthusiastic, alert and hardworking. He has been continually returned to Manx Politics for the last 30 years, even after Tynwald itself effectively removed him from the Legislative Council in 1995 he was quickly re-elected in the subsequent bye-election. Few politicians have had as much continued support from the people as Mr Delaney. (For example, even the current President of Tynwald was ousted by the electorate in 1986).

Dominic Delaney said on Manx Radio this morning that he no longer has the energy to do the job entrusted to him by the electorate.

On that basis then, there are quite a few of the rest of them should consider standing down! Everytime I have been in to Tynwald there are usually a few who seem to be asleep and seemingly thinking of their next big lunch, only to awake to throw their arm up if a vote has been called for. Perhaps though, the fact that such indolence exists in Tynwald is the fault of the electorate for putting them there in the first place.

As such an active member of Tynwald, Dominic Delaney will be greatly missed, but not by one or two of the existing politicians I would say! He was not one to succumb to the trappings of the 'Best Club In The World'.

and

Quote Lonan3

I haven't always agreed with his views, but I have usually admired his energy and his determination to sniff out the bad smells that can be found in government. I think it's rather sad that, at the age of 63, he feels it's time to retire as he appears to have more energy than many younger members of Tynwald.

I suppose that, when you've spent 20 years banging your head against a brick wall, it feels nice when you finally stop.

Archived