Dti Minister Attacks 'knockers'

Roger Smelly

This is from Alex "The Sweep" Downie.

The Trade and Industry Minister has launched a blistering attack on both colleagues in Keys and The Courier newspaper for undermining the Isle of Man's manufacturing industry.

He concedes that the newspaper headline about government support for Strix was an accurate report of a Keys debate, but he disputes the amounts quoted and says companies like Strix form a vital part of the island's economy.

Minister Alex Downie says we're just playing into the hands of our competitors

That was on manx radio's website

Personally i think the whole matter smells a bit fishy

Strix got £10 million pounds in government aid in the last five years, Strix have in the last five years moved the bulk of jobs to china leaving a skeleton crew on the island.

So why would you give them so much money ?

I notice the local companies seem to not get a penny i.e shops, sole traders etc.

Its like the old book says “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets

think RS has a good point and the more the Sweep protests the more the smoke will billow and eventually there could well be some tinder there to catch fire and turn into a blazing infero of a political storm particularly as Strix is now owned by parties other than one of our 'local' residents...

What i want to know is why is he so mad that this info came out ?

Like they say "hit a nerve and you will jump"

of yeah and here is some knockers just for you Vinny K

knockers_r2_c2.gif

Strix got enormous grants/loans from the DTI and the guy who until recently owned part of it is named in the Times Rich List, did he really need taxpayers money to support his business as he clearly became very wealthy from it.

There are surely lots of businesses on the Island that employ considerable numbers of staff that could use a little Government assistance but unfortunately they are not in the golden category of "manufacturing" - so I guess their owners won't make the rich list then?

I won't pretend to understand the grant system but it does seem to me the government are in a no win situation here. If they give grants they get criticism for doing so but if they didn't give grants I suspect that they would be criticised for not doing so.

Maybe any grant should be given under some form of contract that requires part or full re-payment under certain circumstances? I've no idea whether this already the case or not.

Archived