Another Dot Faux Pas?

Galen

Accepting that there are always scurilious rumours abounding (all of which makes Manx life so rich !) there is a story going around at the moment that should you park more than the permitted 2 hours in Tesco's car park, the fine comes from a UK based company who, courtesy of DoT, have been given access to the IOM vehicle database!!! Apparently as you enter the carpark your number plate is photographed and using numberplate recognition software, a late departure, kicks of the fine process. IF this is true, and you lend your car to a relative or friend who stays more than 2 hours in Tesco, then YOU will pick up the FINE - courtesy of DOT doing deals without any consultation. Does anyone know more or has information that can refute this as the ramifications are considerable? :angry:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes there are cameras and yes there are signs about not parking there longer than two hours.

This is mainly to stop those office workers who park there all day making it difficult for paying customers to do their shopping.

So stop whinging and pay for a parking space in Douglas like everyone else you cheap sods.

You're lucky that a: I live close to that place, and b: I was just on my way out to get catfood from there, as Muschi wasn't amused about me having forgotten to buy some yesterday...

Number plate recognition cameras sounds a bit far-fetched (sorry wideload, where are they supposed to be?), but there is a sign:

post-1086-1148724128_thumb.jpgpost-1086-1148724142_thumb.jpg

Taking that it says "we will contact the Department of Transport to obtain your details", one can safely assume that there must be some kind of agreement between Tesco and the DoT - in how far this is a faux pas, I don't know..

I do know, however, that you get a ticket from a private company if you park there overnight (don't know about the 2 hour thing), as my ex-housemate got a ticket when he left his car there once...

Yes there are cameras and yes there are signs about not parking there longer than two hours.

This is mainly to stop those office workers who park there all day making it difficult for paying customers to do their shopping.

So stop whinging and pay for a parking space in Douglas like everyone else you cheap sods.

I am not whinging about paying for a parking space, what I am concerned about is potential breaches of the Data Protection Act, such as unfair processing of personal data, the data controller not complying with the Act, etc and where this could lead to. We are all entitled to personal data being properly processed and not abused.

I can't see where anyone here has whined about not being able to park in Tescos

I don't have to pay for a park for work, we have have a customer / staff off road parking spaces

Cameras or not. Wouldn't there be an issue relating to data protection, surely a Supermarket (or other 3rd party) cant ring the DOT to get someones address etc?

It happens in the UK.

The DVLA give out the details to any party that can reasonably have a reason to ask for them

I understand the contractual bit and that I fully know people used it as an office carpark, it was common place for anyone on North Quay and surrounding areas to use it originally- its the bit about the DOT giving information to Tesco about someone from their reg plate.

In regard to the law, they must have a special clause that allows them to divulge that information? Or perhaps, they dont.

Who would issue the fine? it would have to be Tesco as it is private property not highway, so you pay at yous discression. They would have the option of sueing privatly for it if you refuse.

Sounds a bit like juicy manx rumour, may it never cease :D

In regard to the law, they must have a special clause that allows them to divulge that information? Or perhaps, they dont.

I suppose it depends on how the DOT have registered under the data protection act. I know when I did our first registration many years ago, I ticked just about every box for disclosures that I could so that I wouldn't get caught out disclosing info to anyone that I wasn't registered for.

The DOT might disclose the information for criminal or civil proceedings

'Your details are sold to car park extortionists' by JONATHAN OLIVER and MARTIN DELGADO, Mail on Sunday November 2005

Persecuted: Joyce Kennington was targeted by Creative Car Park Management, who backed down after she insisted she had done nothing wrong. The Government is at the centre of a 'secrets for sale' scandal after it admitted offering sensitive details about millions of motorists to private car parking companies.

A Mail on Sunday investigation found that more than 150 firms have been granted access to an official database of confidential information about Britain's 30 million drivers.

Archived