Speed Limits - Again

Fleur

I'm a Manxie, through and through. But a Manxie living abroad.

Now then, I've grown up with Manx roads and speed requirements etc but speed cameras and overall limits are new to me.

So here's my experience of blanket cover speed limits (UK drivers will be well used to these I know).

I'm now using km and not mph so it's a little different granted. One has to get used to what 50, 70, 90, 110 kph etc 'feels' and 'sounds' like.

I now find myself watching the damned speedo all the time! Whereas before I watched the road, the conditions, potential threats, enjoyed the sounds of a contended and responsive engine plus observing other road users, I now have to almost exclusively concentrate on my speed - not on driving.

Not a problem in built up areas, but on fine, fatter, smoother and open (far better than IOM) roads, I can't simply drive anymore, I just have to obey speed limits, exactement!

I genuinely believe that my driving has deteriorated because of the speed limits. Near our little town, they have introduced a 30 kph sign! 18.75 mph! What sort of a 'speed' is that? Could you 'feel' 18.75 mph without constant referencing the speed gauge? This 30kph is followed by a 50, then up to 90 then down to 70 before returning to 90kmp then 50, all in the space of 2 kms!

All the junctions that are in the 30 and 50 areas are at risk of being overlooked whilst we stare at the speedo!

All this achieves is to is to take your eyes off the road, continually, and in my opinion that's potentially damned dangerous.

So fight any unnecessary speed limits wherever you can.

For me, France has achieved (in my world) the impossible. It's managed to totally remove any semblance of driving pleasure :-(

Fight and fight again for responsible motoring on the island.

Also worth remembering that speed limits vary in France according to the conditions -

For example its 130 km/h normally, but 110 when wet; 110 km/h on a dual carriageway, but 100 when wet.

Also, anyone caught travelling at more than 25km/h (15.5 mph) above the speed limit can have their licence confiscated on the spot

Also worth remembering that speed limits vary in France according to the conditions -

For example its 130 km/h normally, but 110 when wet; 110 km/h on a dual carriageway, but 100 when wet.

Also, anyone caught travelling at more than 25km/h (15.5 mph) above the speed limit can have their licence confiscated on the spot

Thanks for reason number 45,315 not to go to France.

Archived