Immigration And Economics

Doric

Doric's 5th Theorem:

We need new people on the Island to do the jobs which service the needs of other new people on the Island who are here doing the new jobs which have sprung up, but those new people providing the services for new people are themselves new people and who in turn need the services of other new people but those new people need services to etc . . . .

I know that is a bit simpleistic and the Theorem needs a little refining. The Theorem was first considered a few years back but was never published because everything was indeed hunky dory.

But yesterday I spoke to a manual worker who had just been sacked from a job he has held for some years. He was told he was being replaced with someone who had recently arrived on the Island and who was willing and eager to do his work at a lower price.

I am aware of market forces and can see the situation from the point of view of both the employer and the (ex) employee.

However, I shall remember the circumstances and I will call this Case Number One, but I doubt there will be more cases to come.

Doric's 5th Theorem:

But yesterday I spoke to a manual worker who had just been sacked from a job he has held for some years. He was told he was being replaced with someone who had recently arrived on the Island and who was willing and eager to do his work at a lower price.

I am aware of market forces and can see the situation from the point of view of both the employer and the (ex) employee.

However, I shall remember the circumstances and I will call this Case Number One, but I doubt there will be more cases to come.

I like the theorem, but I think it misses an important point in what is happening now.

Namely this:- Those whose jobs are most vulnerable (in this instance your manual worker) are losing ground to contract workers not cheaper "employees" as such, and what is happening is not so much that these people are coming in to take jobs, but that they are being deliberately shipped in to provide cheap labour for people (largely local) higher up the food chain who can retain more profits on the range contract jobs they do. As more and more support service contracts, particularly government ones, get outsourced this is going to get worse, as locals can't employ locals as they are too expensive and eat into the profits.

All the immigration at this level is in hospitality, cleaning, support services, road working crews, care home workers, and a huge range of other contract services, and it seems to be what local people want because its keeping them in a very good living.

This makes the work permit rules largely redundant.

Was said manual worker self emplyed and/or on a fixed term contract?

I only ask because I thought that to sack an employee and directly replace with an alternative person just because they are cheaper is illegal?

It also begs the question: How does a newcomer (presumably requiring a work permit) gain employment if the position is already being carried out by another?

Doric's 5th Theorem:

and Ripsaw says:-

I only ask because I thought that to sack an employee and directly replace with an alternative person just because they are cheaper is illegal?

I thought so too and would expect Bernie M to be right on this sort of case....

Thanks for the replies.

My immediate thoughts more or less mirrored what hboy said.

We only seem to be bothered when it affects us personally, and most of us seem to be reasonably high up 'the food chain'. Just now anyway.

There are huge implications in what is happening to our Island just now, and those that govern seem to be living for today as they themselves are fine because rich greedy people are massaging their egos very well indeed.

And it doesn't take too many good nights out on someone else's expense to make a politician giddy and see the world they govern in a rather rosy hue.

Anyway, when I see the chap again I'll find out the circumstances because I believe he has been taken advantage of. Many manual workers are not at all militant and are simply unable to defend themselves. There are times when I admire unions.

I will suggest a vist to Bernie M.

Many thanks

His MHK isn't interested then?

Or has he not been consulted?

The chap needs all the help he can muster.

I think MHKs would only make an example of him for their own political gains just now - no need for their intervention yet although it is a good option for the future maybe bu I do see your point Charles. Bernie M on holiday just now apparently but be back soon.

From a wider perspective I really see this is just the tip of a potentially dreadful iceberg.

Our current politicians do not have the acumen to see the bigger picture and many can't see past their next free lunch (apologies for the cliché). Most have only just learned what 'PC' means. 'PC' is getting a bit Passé these days isn't it. (apologies for the use on more than one occasion in a single post of French words with that funny sign thing above the e)

I learnt in French class only to use accents and graves when you are certain that the other person wouldn't know where they were supposed to go either.

That and something about ice cream and the beach.

Never had that, although the many adventures of Monsieur Pompidou and family featured heavily in my GCSE French Reading test. It turns out that the good monsieur did not spend his summer holiday participating in the Benson and Hedges darts championships, or carrying out a bank job with his friend 'Le Spaz' - apparently, he instead opted for a far more prosaic fishing holiday, or something.

Bastard.

It was the famille Bertillon in my day! Always going off for une picnic at le Weekend.

I remember being on holiday in Spain with my mate when we were 16 and being chatted up by two young Spaniards. We resorted to French and tried to deflect their attentions by saying that we had to quittez l'hotel that night. But really what I should have been saying is that we had to restez at l'hotel avec mon parents!

Wonder what happened to Orlando and Juan....

Archived