Immigration And Economics

Doric

Wonder what happened to Orlando and Juan....

If they're anything like their gallic neighbours they'll have had a rich and full life going for bicycle rides, enjoying picnics, and cheerily asking their legions of penpals whether they prefer classique or "pop".

I suspect it is more likely that they would have married some olive-skinned, doe-eyed beauty, reducing her to a fat, black-robed Mama of 20 odd kids, in espadrilles whilst still chasing the various nationalities' blart that frequent!

whilst still chasing the various nationalities' blart that frequent!

They were chasing you? Surely you hadn't sunk so low as to nick the primrose sweaters knotted about their shoulders (all my prejudices are informed by language text books)?

when the UK has introduced ID cards shouldn't there be a requirement to have your card scanned before you board a plane or boat for the IOM...so any 'undesirables' can be denied travel and entry to the IOM before they even set-off?

Well there was that case in the paper this week of the guy who stabbed his ex girlfriends bloke, and it turns out he got a work permit here by using a false name because he already had a previous conviction for manslaughter in Ireland.

When you have to produce certified passports, and countless utility bills to open a Manx bank account that you put £10 into surely its not beyond the wit of the work permit people to ask for the same level of information to make sure the applicant is who he says he is. Its not rocket science and its something the banks have to do 100's of times a week as part of their know your customer requirements.

Its law for everyone else to have to prove the applicant is who he says he is - perhaps until he needs a work permit to work in a manx bank in the first place.

when the UK has introduced ID cards shouldn't there be a requirement to have your card scanned before you board a plane or boat for the IOM...so any 'undesirables' can be denied travel and entry to the IOM before they even set-off?

The steam-packet can insist on your providing proof of identity already as part of their terms and conditions, and as part of the ports Acts etc. You don't need ID cards for that, but you can guarantee if cards do come in soon everyone will get scanned as a matter of course, including law abiding citizens such as myself and others.

You might want to live in a police state MCB - I don't. You are talking carp.

Archived