What Do You Listen To?

Slim

What do you listen to?  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was thinking the other day that I really dont listen to any of the local radio stations. Am I atypical? I'd far rather listen to radio 1, 4 or a CD, although I do bung Manx Radio on for the news.

I was also thinking, Manx Radio may have public funding but the other two are funded by local advertising. Which means I'm paying for them in the cost of the goods I buy from local companies. I'd actually rather not, I dont listen to those stations, why should I pay?

Voted listen to Energy the most. The reason for this is that we can only pick up the local stations at work and, as I'm in a shop, we need some sort of music in there and Energy is the best of the bunch in this respect. Ideally, I'd prefer to listen to Radio 1 but, that's just not an option due to zero reception where we are.

At home however, I never listen to the radio and it's CD/MP3 all the way or, internet radio stations that aren't mainstream.

In the car/van it's mainly CD but sometimes I'll have the radio on for a change.

Energy in the mornings (as my alarm doesn't do cd's to wake me up) - also them at work if possible (only for the no repeat workdays) but other than that MP3/CD all the way

I'm still trying to work out the target audiences of the Manx Stations, to decide which one I should listen to or not.

Energy seemed to originally be up to 35.

3fm originally claimed the 35-50's

and Manx Radio has always had anyone too old or too insane to flick the dial and people who listen to the news for 5 mins.

But they all now appear to be merging into each others target audience. How can they all compete and expand in an Island with a population of 85,000 people?

I used to listen to Energy in the morning, but I think Juan Turner has now knocked it out of my range. Tip Juan - if a joke does not start out funny, it does not get funnier by repeating it 5 times.

There needs to be an option for listening in TT Week, or perhaps there will be another thread on this subject.

But during TT Week, apart from Charlie Williams chat and the race commentaries I definitely do not listen to Manx Radio TT. I simply cannot comprehend who Manx Radio believe is their target audience especially the mid-morning slot. The DJs must spend so much time down at the fairground they think everybopdy listening is a giggling schoolgirl.

There needs to be an option for listening in TT Week, or perhaps there will be another thread on this subject.

But during TT Week, apart from Charlie Williams chat and the race commentaries I definitely do not listen to Manx Radio TT. I simply cannot comprehend who Manx Radio believe is their target audience especially the mid-morning slot. The DJs must spend so much time down at the fairground they think everybopdy listening is a giggling schoolgirl.

It kind of amazes me every year how MR just suddenly changes and plays modern songs regularly. I heard them say 'Blink182' yesterday :huh:

Also I think they need to change their jingles, seems they have had those 'Radio TT' jingles forever, if they're gonna go modern for TT, may as well go all out :)

I don't understand why Radio TT is on AM which has crappy reception. I know they are probably on a hiding for nothing if they deny their normal programming to FM listeners during TT fortnight, but the TT is such a big media event over here you would think there would be some compromise in programming.

The MW reception seems particularly poor today. MW will reach many parts of UK, even the Northern Isles of Scotland I am told.

Given the choice between MW and FM then the speach based Radio TT will be MW.

While I am on about speach based radio, the DJ they have brought in from Blackpool wasn't half gassing on all morning with Alex Brindley, reminding themselves of the good old days with Ben Hartley (ex MR DJ) and talking about their outrageous kilt etc.

What is the collective noun for ego bound, camp DJs ??

I don't understand why Radio TT is on AM which has crappy reception. I know they are probably on a hiding for nothing if they deny their normal programming to FM listeners during TT fortnight, but the TT is such a big media event over here you would think there would be some compromise in programming.

Yep, you're right, Gladys... as a regular listener to MR I would deeply resent the programmes I listen to being transferred to AM as I have no interest at all in the racing, and as one...

hboy Posted Yesterday, 11:01 PM

...too old or too insane to flick the dial...

...I'd probably assume that the rest of the world had gone mad or that the radio stations had all been taken over by aliens and were now dangerous to listen to!

Archived