Anti German Xenophobia? Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Jurgen Klinsmann...

manxchatterbox

its on Manx Radio's playlist....should it or any others mentioning England be on the Manx national station???

5 June 2006

RADIO GA-GA

England songs banned by Radio 1

By Aidan Mcgurran

BARMY Radio 1 has banned World Cup songs that mention England - in case they upset Welsh, Scots or Irish listeners.

Bands who use the E word will get the red card from the station's all-important playlist.

A Radio 1 source said: "We have been told songs that contain the word England repeatedly can't be put on the playlist because we don't want to upset anyone who isn't English. It's ridiculous."

The ruling comes despite the fact that Breakfast Show host Chris Moyles. left, will be broadcasting live from Germany throughout the World Cup. The source said: "Chris Moyles and his team will be really cranking it up for the World Cup. It just shows how hypocritical this ruling is."

England's official World Cup theme, World At Your Feet by rockers Embrace, sidesteps the ban because it does not mention England.

But We Are England by indie band Ricky is off the playlist despite outselling the Embrace anthem. Ricky's singer Jim Lines, 26, said: "It's a shame if you can't support your team."

Radio 1 said: "Obviously, we have to be aware we have a national audience. But the main factor in deciding to playlist a song is musical merit."

Andy Parfitt was interviewed on Radio 1 this morning and said it was all a crock of shit.

Lessons to be learnt:

1. Don't believe everything you read in the paper / on the internet

2. Keep up to date with the news

3. Calm down and step away from the keyboard.......

still don't think its correct for songs that ridicule and are 'anti' German / other countries to be broadcast...

How does this relate in any way to your original post?

should it or any others mentioning England be on the Manx national station???

OMG you're right!!!!111one11 - No way. In fact, while we're at it we should prevent everyone from being offended by any country name. To this end I think we should make a list of all the songs with the name of a country and/or region in it and submit it to Manx radio for banning from the playlist.

We'll start with:

China in your hand - T'Pau

Loco In Acapulco - Four Tops

Irish Eyes are Smiling - ??

Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen

Back in the USSR - The Beatles

From Russia with Love - Matt Monro

Get your suggestions in now!!

China in your hand - T'Pau

Loco In Acapulco - Four Tops

Irish Eyes are Smiling - ??

Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen

Back in the USSR - The Beatles

From Russia with Love - Matt Monro

Get your suggestions in now!!

Bombs over Baghdad - Outkast

Miss Sarajevo - U2

Don't Cry for Me, Argentina - Julie Covington/Elaine Paige/Madonna etc.

I like this game....

its on Manx Radio's playlist....should it or any others mentioning England be on the Manx national station???

5 June 2006

RADIO GA-GA

England songs banned by Radio 1

By Aidan Mcgurran

BARMY Radio 1 has banned World Cup songs that mention England - in case they upset Welsh, Scots or Irish listeners.

Firstly, I think it would be appropriate to mention your source when quoting - in this case it happens to be the Daily Mirror - and secondly, if the Scotland, Wales and Ireland teams had been able to reach the finals instead of England you can bet they'd be screaming it from the rooftops and gleefully condemning the English team's ability in a glorious festival of xenophobia.

The 'who do you think you are kidding' record may be a load of crap, but it's also a bit of harmless fun and some of the money from sales from it are going to the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK which raises money for research into bowel cancer in memory of footballer Bobby Moore.

So the answer is - yes, Manx Radio have every right to have it on their playlist - and if you don't like it, perhaps you need to start another thread to help you find the 'off' switch on your radio!

The Germans

Basil Fawlty and Fawlty Towers episode 6 comes to mind:-

"Don't mention the war"

Basil, head bandage making him look crazier than ever, on hearing the arrivals speaking German, says “Oh German! I thought there was something wrong with you.”

Classic Scene…

Basil then proceeds to mention the war at every opportunity, upsetting the German guests more and more as he rapidly descends into a fit of xenophobic ranting about everything and everyone that most Germans would rather forget.

When the fed up German asks Basil to stop going on about the war, Basil kindly reminds him that they started it. “We did not start it,” protests the German. “Yes you did, you invaded Poland”, replies Basil!

http://www.fawltysite.net/episode06.htm

Dad's Army theme tune was okay in its day but now re-written to "Who do you think you are kidding Jurgen Klinsmann" etc etc just isn't funny and is just pathetic....it just shows how small minded and petty the English sense of humour is when it comes to thinking about football....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5038892.stm

What xenophobic qualities do any of these songs exhibit? Which of them in particular is Anti-German?

Absolutely none. None at all. To both questions. But somebody somewhere might be offended.

putting a fence up not scratching....

xen·o·phobe (zĕn'ə-fōb', zē'nə-)

n.

A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

There's a difference between being supportive of your country, and being xenophobic.

So... are any of these songs anti-German?

Basil Fawlty and Fawlty Towers..

Hey - Basil Fawlty! He's a funny fella - was rofl when I first watched it..oh wait, I'm supposed to be offended, aren't I?

Now, the all important question in this thread is: What the fuck has it got to do with "Local News"? Who started a topic that's got nothing to do with the news over here, makes no sense and makes me regret having clicked on it?

Oh..sorry..I see. Carry on!

Archived