Anti German Xenophobia? Who Do You Think You Are Kidding Jurgen Klinsmann...

manxchatterbox

Basil Fawlty and Fawlty Towers..

Hey - Basil Fawlty! He's a funny fella - was rofl when I first watched it..oh wait, I'm supposed to be offended, aren't I?

Now, the all important question in this thread is: What the fuck has it got to do with "Local News"? Who started a topic that's got nothing to do with the news over here, makes no sense and makes me regret having clicked on it?

Oh..sorry..I see. Carry on!

Forgive me but isn't the but of the humour in the Germans episode Basil himself. If you laugh at it you aren't laughing at Germans and the war but at the Englishman unable to cope with dealing with foreigners. If there is a national stereotype at play it is the socially inadequate, uptight Englishman.

Forgive me but isn't the but of the humour in the Germans episode Basil himself. If you laugh at it you aren't laughing at Germans and the war but at the Englishman unable to cope with dealing with foreigners. If there is a national stereotype at play it is the socially inadequate, uptight Englishman.

I agree - maybe that's why I found it so funny :)

I thought that was it too confused7oc.gif

The same reason you laugh at Alf Garnett, not for his racism, but for the ridiculousness and stupidity of the little Englishman.

Archived