Four Out Of Ten

rockjock

Good to see that the existing speed limits are so effective in reducing accidents...

IOM on-line today report that four of the top ten accident blackspots on the island occur on restricted roads.

The Ballalonna Bridge on Douglas to Castletown road is ranked second worst despite its 50 mph limit.

The Nook, near busy Quarterbridge, and the Brown Bobby at a congested point in Peel Road make the top 10, despite having 30mph limits.

Source: Department of Transport. League tables of worst 'accident clusters'.

In fairness your post as it is, does nothing for the pro / against argument.

Brown Bobby is probably one of the busiest junctions on the entire Island, so you would probably expect there to be a higher ratio of 'accidents'.

The Nook, are you sure they are talking about the QB? I thought The Nook was near the end of the TT course just before Governors dip, on an extremely narrow part of the road, which probably also raises the chances of an 'accident'.

It also makes no corrolation between the frequency and severity of these 'accidents'.

So I guess, overall, my question is......

What's your point?

I was somewhat surprised by the inclusion of the Brown Bobby,

I have never seen an accident there in all my driving about town, has there ever been anyone died in an accident there, or is it just a statistical thing that there have been thousands of broken headlight glasses and bent bumpers with people suddenly stopping at the traffic lights which class as damage to come up with such a figure. ?.

I'm sure if it was such an accident black spot it would have had a roundabout by now ;)

I've seen the results of an occasional 'shunt' at the Brown Bobby - but never anything serious.

Must admit, my first thought about 'The Nook' was the houses hidden in a little Close just before the bend above Governor's Bridge. I've seen several small hatchbacks end up in the hedge near West Drive after trying to take the bend too fast.

The list in the Examiner explains that the order is determined by a points system: (from memory) 10pts for a fatal accident, 5 for serious injury, and 1 point for damage to vehicle, no injuries.

Therefore if there is one accident that results in a fatality, then that road is more dangerous than a road that witnesses 9 accidents in the same time period if there are no injuries according to the results.

Every road holds the potential for an accident and common sense dictates that higher speed equals a higher degree of injury. We already know this.

I don't understand the reason for bringing out 'another' method of publishing details.

The point I was trying to make is that the second worst accident blackspot on the island has had a 50MPH speed limit for some time but simply putting up a restricted sign hasn't made it a safe place. Perhaps the answer lies elsewhere?

The point I was trying to make is that the second worst accident blackspot on the island has had a 50MPH speed limit for some time but simply putting up a restricted sign hasn't made it a safe place. Perhaps the answer lies elsewhere?

So you think they should be restricted to a slower speed? Or shall we just abandon the speed limit there and let them drive as fast as they like. That'll reduce accidents, I'm sure.

Yes but you are criticising dumb ass statisitically derived policy by throwing around dumb ass statistics.

Do you not see the irony?

I'm not criticising the statistics at all. However you look at these data, these are real accidents that have happened. Witness the bridge wall being rebuilt every few months. I'm simply saying that restricting that section of road to 50 MPH hasn't made it a safe place.

Maybe the solution lies elsewhere?

So you think they should be restricted to a slower speed? Or shall we just abandon the speed limit there and let them drive as fast as they like. That'll reduce accidents, I'm sure.

Ans maybe you are right, perhaps a lower speed limit might be sensible on that section. However dealing with the road width, adverse camber, better signage and driver education might also make it less likely to be the second worst accident blackspot.

How many accidents were there before the introduction of a limit?

Has there been a reduction in the severity of injuries resulting from these accidents following the introduction of a limit?

What were the factors involved in each accident at this location?

If you can get the answers to these questions, then we can debate whether it has made the place any safer.

Of course, nowhere can really be deemed 'safe' so we have to look at any improvement or otherwise, against a previous standard.

Archived