Four Out Of Ten

rockjock

Just to throw some more stats into this - these are from the DoT, given out as part of the consultation I believe - gives a more precise breakdown of accidents and what caused them:

consultation_2006.xls

I wondered when you would be along! Come on just because your a mod you're still allowed to express an opinion! Or was its ANS's way of silencing you on this matter?!!!

From a quick look at your data post. Excessive speed is not a contributing factor in over 80% of serious accidents. Speeding is number 4 on the list of top causes after:

1. Bad driving practice in <30 mph zone

2. Bad driving practice in NSL zone

3. Misjudgement in NSL zone

Perhaps looking elsewhere isn't so misguided after all!

I wondered when you would be along! Come on just because your a mod you're still allowed to express an opinion! Or was its ANS's way of silencing you on this matter?!!!

I guess most people know by now what my opinion on the speed limit issue is, and it's been talked about a lot over the last months - not at least on our own little forum: clickedydo - feel free to surf along!

From a quick look at your data post. Excessive speed is not a contributing factor in over 80% of serious accidents. Speeding is number 4 on the list of top causes after:

To show how statisitcs can be 'used' in a variaty of ways, I can tell you that:

68% of fatal or serious accidents caused by 'Excessive speed for conditions' occurred in areas with NSL

69% of fatal or serious accidnets caused by 'Misjudging clearance, distance or speed' occurred in areas with NSL

54.8% of fatal or serious accidents occurred in areas with NSL, compared to just 6.4% in areas with a limit of betwen 50 & 60 mph. 69% of fatal accidents ocurred in areas with NSL, compared to just 6.3% in areas with a limit between 50 & 60 mph. As these are likely to be similar roads (i.e. out of town, not near urban areas it is a vital statisitic to use as a comparison)

Only 6.9% of accidents were deemed by professional experts as 'Possibly avoidable with more training'.

Bad Driving, Speed and Misjudgement in areas with NSL are 1st, 3rd, and 4th respectively in the list of common causes of fatal or serious accidents.

Aint statistics brilliant.

Bad Driving, Speed and Misjudgement in areas with NSL are 1st, 3rd, and 4th respectively in the list of common causes of fatal or serious accidents.

All accidents are caused by unsafe speeds and misjudgements, therefore all accidents are caused by bad drivers.

It is only bad drivers that drive at unsafe speeds and make misjudgements, and there is always at least one bad driver involved in any accident. The problem will only be resolved by removing or educating the bad drivers.

The only exceptions to this might be mechanical failure - which may be the fault of a bad designer, a bad mechnic or, once again, a bad driver failing to maintain his car.

Information Release from the Dept of Transport.

Due to the nature of the quality of driving in England the Department

for Transport has now devised a new scheme in order to identify poor

drivers and give good drivers the opportunity to recognise them whilst

driving.

For this reason as from the middle of May 2006 those drivers who are

found to be driving badly which includes:

- overtaking in dangerous places

- tailgating the car in front

- stopping sharply

- speeding in residential areas;

- pulling out without indication;

- performing U turns inappropriately in busy high streets;

- under taking on motorways;

and

- taking up more than one lane in multi lane roads.

These drivers will be issued with flags, white with a red cross,

signifying their inability to drive properly. These flags must be

clipped to a door of the car and be visible to all other drivers and

pedestrians.

Those drivers who have shown particularly poor driving skills will have

to display a flag on each side of the car to indicate their greater lack

of skill and general lower intelligence mind set to the general public.

Please circulate this to as many other motorists as you can so that

drivers and pedestrians will be aware of the meaning of these flags.

Department of Transport - 18 May 2006

Archived