Sitting Members - One At A Time (20) Capt Douglas

Lonan3

Would you vote for  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Another of those who seem to have "worked quietly behind the scenes" up until now, and suddenly started appearing for interviews on Manx Radio etc quite recently.

Apparently quite a decent chap - but I have a feeling that his dedication to the proposed national speed limit might not really stand him in good stead.

Been far too quiet for me. Whether that means he is working 'behind the scenes' or rather that he is just in it for a quiet life and nice pension I don't know.

What I do know is that he should drop the 'Captain' bit. He may well be allowed to use it if he served at sufficient rank in the forces, but for me it's just a bit pretentious.

And for many people he was and always will be a MLB !!

The bloke is apparently nice enough, but our Government needs people with qualities a wee bit more than being 'nice enough'.

I have serious doubts about an administration that continually refers to this chap as 'Captain'.

The Hansards are full of the hoodwinked fools who address him as such.

Edited to ask:

Who is the bigger fool - The Cap'n or the people who think they should call him Cap'n?

When on the ship a person is a master of, fair enough - but in public life a different story.

A rather useful link posted in a previous thread Department for Constitutional Affairs.

He's a Douglas MHK isn't he?

If so, he'd get my vote on the basis he's called Captain Douglas. Give him a cape and he'd get my vote forever more.

:)

*Signs* He's MHK for Santon and Malew, was elected in a bye election following the 'promotion' of Donald Gelling to MLC, but the 'Cape' idea is a nice one. (I'm disapointed at the lack of a pirate refernce though)

Scarey Photo Gallery

Edit: /Bows to Manxman and regrets clicking 'Reply' then wandering off for a coffee.

Scarey Photo Gallery

Does anyone else think that the photo of Eddie Lowey is scary? He looks like he's growling.

I find the one of Steve Rodan more upsetting, that smug half smile gives him the look of a man who's just gotten away with spitting in someone's coffee.

I've always been curious about people calling temselves something, Major, Captain, General, Doctor etc; when they no longer do those jobs. I often thought people were taking the piss when calling some old buffer "Major".

I've always been curious about people calling temselves something, Major, Captain, General, Doctor etc; when they no longer do those jobs. I often thought people were taking the piss when calling some old buffer "Major".

You mean like: Corporal Punishment, General E. Speaking, Major Disaster or Private Parts?

I think it stems from the wars. When a person receives a QUEENS COMMISSION and rank in the armed forces, society was generally keen to show courtesy, even in retirement. As well as going through tough training, such an officer (in the Army) would need to have enough natural leadership skills and charisma to be able to lead a company or battalion of men, sometimes into battle. Or in the case of the Royal Navy they could command a ship and again lead it into battle. Generally, quite a special person.

Now there was, not so many years ago a Major Crellin who was an MHK and later an MLC. Major Geoff Crellin had all the attributes you would expect of an officer in the armed forces - leadership, strength of character and intelligence, to name but a few. He was also an excellent public speaker and attended various functions around the Island providing amusing and entertaining after dinner type speaches.

However, back on thread - in referring himself as a 'Captain' the subject of this thread seems to be mis-opportuning an advantage in life. It's just that us Manxies seem a bit gullible when it comes to this sort of thing.

Archived