0800 Numbers

Cholmondley-Warner

I have seen several large companies report their Calling Line Identity as a common 0800 or 0845 number, presumably as calls may originate from several sub offices - maybe a misdialling fax machine ?

Had the same problem and understood from BT that it was an automated calling system for a sales call centre which will dial numbers, but if there are no sales reps available to take the call it will just hang up.

Caused me no end of problems with my husband at the time as he thought it was someone trying to speak to me only!

Had the same problem and understood from BT that it was an automated calling system for a sales call centre which will dial numbers, but if there are no sales reps available to take the call it will just hang up.

I thought this method was recently banned. Someone didn't post this company the memo.

May well have been Ans, but there is also the unsolicitied calls facility run by BT. If you sign up, you are removed from cold call lists and if one sneaks though all you need say is that you do not want unsolicited calls and have subscribed to the service (can't remember its name).

Well, I had a right ding dong with a double glazing company who rang and after telling them they shouldn't be calling me was put on to the supervisor who told me that the cold caller was only doing her job and that they didn't care much about the serivce. So much for that! I was very annoyed, but didn't do anything about it as it just wasn't worth the hassle!

As for this method being banned, where is it banned and does that ban include call centres in the Indian sub-continent?

May well have been Ans, but there is also the unsolicitied calls facility run by BT. If you sign up, you are removed from cold call lists and if one sneaks though all you need say is that you do not want unsolicited calls and have subscribed to the service (can't remember its name).

TPS?

Probably Mission, I just remember being very hacked off that rather than just accept that they shouldn't have been calling me, they were ready for a full telephone argument about their right to do so. Which makes you wonder at the integrity of many call centre-type operations!

Well I dunno about you, but the odd time I actually have a phone plugged into the socket and it rings with one of these calls, I just hang up rather than argue the toss with them. I find it makes for a much more peaceful time. There are bigger things in life to be angry about than a cold caller.

Also, BT don't run the TPS.

Couple of quotes from their FAQ, relevant to this thread

5. Recently I have been receiving silent calls on my telephone. Will registering with TPS reduce these?

Not necessarily. Silent calls are generated from the use of 'automated diallers'. When these are incorrectly set, more numbers are dialled than there are operators available to take the calls. If the purpose of the call was to sell you a product or service, then registering on TPS will reduce these. However companies use automated diallers for things such as debt collection, market research etc. and TPS will not reduce these. Please see the Guidance Notes which the Information Commissioner's Office have produced - Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 and the Ofcom website www.ofcom.org.uk/media/mofaq/telecoms/silentfaqa

6. How can I reduce the receipt of silent calls?

There is a separate service called Silent CallGard. You can register with them by calling 0870 4443969.

As for overseas callers, if they're acting on behalf of a UK based company they must comply with UK regulations but there's very little a UK regulatory body can do about overseas based companies.

13. Will registering on the TPS stop unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas?

Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of a UK based company, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against TPS before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number. We do make the file available to overseas based companies under licence for the purpose of suppression so they know whom not to telephone but many overseas companies who telephone the UK on their own account from overseas do so to avoid legal and self regulatory restrictions. We would advise caution in responding to unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls from overseas especially if they are asking you to send them money or using a premium rate phone line (numbers beginning with 09). If you are receiving unsolicited sales and marketing calls from overseas you should contact the overseas company who is making the call.

I always screen calls as a rule these days, anyone that knows me knows to ring the mobile.

Exactly. I quite often don't even have a phone plugged into my landline and even when I do, I rarely answer. Anyone who knows me will call my mobile straight after and I have that with me at all times. If it wasn't for Internets, I wouldn't have a landline.

Archived