World Cup News

News from Ananova (Pictures from 'other sources')

A handful of people have been prevented from travelling from Britain because police suspect they may be out to cause trouble in Germany.

At Manchester airport on Friday a 32-year-old man from Stoke-on-Trent was stopped from boarding a flight to Amsterdam. It was thought that he was intending to travel on to Stuttgart.

A 24-year-old man from Bolton was prevented from flying to Frankfurt in a separate incident at the airport.

Neither were subject to football banning orders but police suspected they could both potentially cause trouble.

post-1037-1149929719_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile, one England fan was arrested on Friday night, German Federal Police said.

He was among a total of 20 people arrested and the others were from nations including Germany, Poland and Italy.

A police spokeswoman said the English fan was held following a small fight near Frankfurt's train station but he was released after a few hours.

post-1037-1149929704_thumb.jpg

During the Winter Olympics I posted links to Live Streams for Broadband Users via the BBC Website. Whoops...

TV Licencing Target Companies.

Companies that allow staff to watch Streamed Video of the World Cup via the Internet could face fines of up to £1000 if the company does not have a valid TV Licence.

Full Article

I always thought that they determined whether or not a device needed a licence by whether it had a tuner in it.

If they're now expanding that by saying if you're watching a TV stream on your PC that it's liable, then surely every PC around has the potential to watch TV and should be licenced. That was always the argument against those who said they just used their TV set to watch DVDs or whatever. If it has a tuner, it needs one.

And why just World Cup matches? What about their news feeds, archived comedy shows? The whole thing smacks of scaremongering with no actual legal basis to me. I'd be interested to see if it results in any prosecutions. I call bullshit.

Manx Telecom has announced that there are now over 10,000 broadband connections on the Isle of Man. The island's DSL broadband penetration is thus around 60 percent higher than the average for OECD countries

All of them "capable" of receiving the BBC...

You would argue that the vast, vast majority of residential properties with broadband would have a TV as well.

I was meaning more businesses, but I wasn't very clear. The point I was trying to make was that if the same principle is applied as they use for tuner equipment, they shouldn't have to wait to catch them in the act. They should just go found and demand licences for every business with an internet connection, a lot of which won't have a TV.

Ans, I agree entirely with both your posts and understand the domestic situation.

As far as the football is concerned, hopefully the kick off times will nulify most problems.

Where businesses are concerned (maybe this should be in a different thread) is such as the Olympics where I posted the links to the stream in the 'Zoe Gelling' thread. Those events were screened during 'office hours'.

Any of us who tuned in to that or any other streamed transmission have left a permanent, easily tracable trail (IP Logged).

My bosses have no problem with me using the Internet for browsing, radio, video files etc., I don't think they would be best pleased if next week a retrospective bill fell through the letter box for a TV Licence.

As soon as any of us click that link whether once or a thousand times, bullshit threats or not, we have opened the door for action to be taken against our unsuspecting employers.

And of course, the IOM Comminications Commission have given the BBC Carte Blanche to take whatever action they see fit on these shores.

Maybe the Isle of Man could set another precident in the history of Telecommunications.

I imagine people would then prefer to be with an anonymous proxy for the money then pay for a tv licence just to watch the football on pc.

Or wouldn't that work?, It just seems rather petty wanting everyone to pay for a licence to watch football though.

I always thought that they determined whether or not a device needed a licence by whether it had a tuner in it.

If they're now expanding that by saying if you're watching a TV stream on your PC that it's liable, then surely every PC around has the potential to watch TV and should be licenced. That was always the argument against those who said they just used their TV set to watch DVDs or whatever. If it has a tuner, it needs one.

And why just World Cup matches? What about their news feeds, archived comedy shows? The whole thing smacks of scaremongering with no actual legal basis to me. I'd be interested to see if it results in any prosecutions. I call bullshit.

Some answers here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5081350.stm

from slinky's bbc link

The TV Licensing Authority says you need a licence to watch any TV station broadcasting within the UK on your computer.

Any?

The cost to businesses varies, but they will generally only require one licence to cover an entire building.

Well one licence is £131.50, That isn't a lot for a business but when its only to watch the world cup, Then it is.

If your second home is a house, cottage, flat, bungalow or any other permanent building, you need to have a separate TV Licence to cover this address.

If you only use a TV set powered by its own internal batteries, you do not need a separate TV Licence.

D'ohhhhhhh, I've been thwarted.... I used the Sea Terminal Hotspot to watch the Brazil match on my laptop the other evening. No bill going to IOM Gvt. then <_<

Archived